What are you buying yourself for Christmas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm not supposed to know, but the one small item of kit I want has already been ordered by Madame after my comments when British Red ran his post on mini-flashlights. I also struck lucky recently in a competition run by Warrensmith on another place. So, there is nothing I can treat myself to in the guise of a present this year.

A lifetime of accumulating kit means I really have everything I need and quite a lot of things that I have wanted but not really needed. Only the fantasy items remain; my own patch of woodland, an all-terrain campervan, a trip with Paul Kirtley on a Canadian river being some examples.

Do you have any small items you intend to indulge yourself with? And if your lottery numbers come up, have you any Bushcraft fantasies to fulfil?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've already treated myself to lots of presents this year to keep my spirits up.
Latest was a kupilka set for me, and a haversack, which initially I intended for a surprise present for someone, but now its mine!
I'd like a vaccination.
Living alone and being vunerable has been awful. I want out of this!
Fantasy wise, like everyone, a bit of woodland, and an off grid log cabin. Possibly a nice birch bark canoe to play on the nearby river with, oh, and someone to chop my logs for me when the wood shed needs filling up.! Not that I'm lazy, just my poor bones done cope so well nowadays. :(

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
off grid log cabin
While I can understand this, having had enough troubles with log cabins I would advice some other building material. :D ;)

Actually the most thermally stable house I have been in was a clay house in Hungary built from unfired bricks. Walls were about 60 cm thick (traditional thickness) . The house stands up as long as the roof stays in place after it is gone it slowly starts to melt back to the ground.

Reactions: Chekmate

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know TLM, but we are talking fantasy here.
I do know of some log cabins in Sweden that are hundreds of years old. They do need yearly maintenance or they rot, as anything wooden will naturally do. But in my dreams........:)

Reactions: Kernow wayne

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Got an itch for a big blade, currently torn between a Buckland chopper or V2 Utility knife.
Wife says I'm getting a cat flap to fit so I stop grumbling at 5am when the dam thing wants out.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I usually buy myself a Christmas knife and have had some real corkers over the years always with good memories attached ...

Still deciding what it might be for this year and am struggling. I like the idea of a 3 1/4" blade locker in M4 steel ... but the posh option is the ParaMilitary 2 and I bought and sold a few of them years back when they came out. So, likely no. But the list of other options is long and happy, and maybe I'll pick something modest from there ... tho there is a nice thing I have been considering approaching Gene Ingram about.

On the other had, I tried on a Patagonia R2 Techface jacket the other day ... always christmassy values in a warm coat.

What I am going to really miss is live music. Christmas, for some reason, I always go a lot to see lots of all types. Warm huddles of people. This year, that's off.

Putting up the deckies tomorrow .. or at least starting. So, lights for the garden, a bottle of Dun Beaghan and some Stollen will be required. That's one thing fixed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Already got my Xmas present

image.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
More field guides and OS maps. These are surely things you can never have too many of? Plus I've got a new book shelf to fill!

Probably some warm clothes for Jan and Feb.

Reactions: Billy-o

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
House with a garden. Well we're buying it as a family but still counts I reckon. The only bushcraft related thing is that it's mostly tree covered with mature trees higher up the hill (yes it's a steeply sloped garden). We're hoping to be in before Xmas but it might be after or not at all if things go wrong.

nothing
i'm a Grinch in normal years and this year is even worse: december 21 is the day i celebrated as my little munchkin's (== my beloved dog which got mentioned in a few posts in the past) birthday last year BUT this year there will be no celebration: she disappeared in august and despite combing the area and offering a reward for information never came back, very likely kidnapped...
i'm low on funds "thanks" to my endless paperwork (after countless setbacks i finally got everything together a few weeks ago and submitted them -- now i've to wait several months for the result...) so only one person will receive a present from me
i do hope though to save up and get a new pocketboy and multi-tool beginning of next year (to replace the ones i lost last year during an armed robbery in nicaragua with my other tools)...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh boy! Not good. I'm sorry about your dog. I was going to tell you of a stolen dog case where the owner got the dog back but I don't think it will help. Our border terrier is too much part of the family to lose but as my partner said it's on the increase post pandemic.

Our dog just turned 3 on 27th. I say 27th November our son says 24th. So she gets two birthdays!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know that I have too much 'stuff' and really don't need any more, so I'd like my children to join me for that Christmas meal and a walk in the gathering twilight with the dogs afterwards. Two of the three will be doing just that - I hope - but the third lives in Japan and so won't be dropping by. It means that it is just a wish - but there's no harm in that.

Reactions: UKAndyB

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Forrestdweller, I'm so sad to hear about your munchkin. It's awful news and I feel for you. It's like losing a family member. I know she was very special to you.
It's hard to be alone after forging such a bond.
I still miss a dog I had over 25 years ago, but the feelings do get better in time.
The worst bit is not knowing her fate. May I send you a virtual hug?
I know it wont do much actual good, but know my thoughts are with you. In fact I haven't been about on the site so much recently, and you actually came into my mind the other day, and wondered how you were doing, as I hadn't seen a post from you for a while.
Take care, and stay well

Reactions: forrestdweller
Forrestdweller, I'm so sad to hear about your munchkin. It's awful news and I feel for you. It's like losing a family member. I know she was very special to you.
It's hard to be alone after forging such a bond.
I still miss a dog I had over 25 years ago, but the feelings do get better in time.
The worst bit is not knowing her fate. May I send you a virtual hug?
I know it wont do much actual good, but know my thoughts are with you. In fact I haven't been about on the site so much recently, and you actually came into my mind the other day, and wondered how you were doing, as I hadn't seen a post from you for a while.
Take care, and stay well
yes, my little munchkin and i were very close and she brought me a lot of happiness... unfortunately she didn't know how dangerous hominids can be and i wasn't there to protect her :'( . i only hope whoever has her treats her well (she's a hunting dog so worth a bit more than the average mutt mix). a friend of mine insisted on getting her fixed a few month ago -- back then i wasn't too happy but it means they won't be able to use her as a "" puppy factory "" ... i had actually several folks offering me a (new ) puppy after my little girl disappeared, but i declined (as my current situation is too unpredictable)...
the same friend who got my dog fixed has a bunch of dogs on her property -- she "" collects" " street dogs, gives them medical care and finds them new homes -- the latest addition is a Stafford terrier puppy who was found in sad condition beside a bridge: he slowly begins to look like a healthy dog and jumps up and wags his tail when he sees me...

big thanks for the virtual hug :) --- the reason i'm sometimes absent from the forum for months is caused by lack of internet access and my focus lately has been my never-ending paperwork (==to settle down here), hopefully the answer will be positive...
(sorry for going somewhat off-topic again...)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE