what are the rules?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi everyone I need some help with this,
I live in epsom surrey and all I want to do is go into a woodland set my hammock and tarp up and have a little fire. can anyone help me where to go or where I should be looking or if I need permission how do I go about getting it? anywhere arround the southeast is good for me, I was also thinking about new forest but i dont know what the rules are there for camping in the woods with a fire.

I would be very grateful if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

udamiano

On a new journey
As far as I know, camping and especially fires are not allowed on forestry Commission Land, without special permission. The same goes for any private land as well. I would get permission from the land owner BEFORE you do anything. Check out local campsites that allow fires first (there is a post with a link somewhere on the forum), then get to know the local farmers, landowners. If you don't, you can open yourself to being charged with trespass which is not a good thing.

basically be safe! be legal!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thanx for that mate, the problem is i dont know where to findout who owns what land and how to go about gaining the permission

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Yep you should aways try an get permission first it is the best way.

If it is a council wood try contacting the landscape services. Up here they have a register for each area and you can be put on the books. Make sure you state clearly exactly where, when and what you are planning to do and if you do get permission make sure you contact them as soon as you get home and ask for feedback.

I arrange the N.E Scotland meets and we have had excellent feedback from both of the sites we have used, from the area workers aswell as members of the public and it really makes things easier for booking the next time around.

I hope you get out to the woods soon

All the best

Craig

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You lucky fella all of Epsom an Ashtead woods on your doorstep.
I was born in Epsom and lived on the edge of the Epsom common, open the garden gate and I was in paradise.
In them days 50s 60s you could camp and light fires without asking permission.
I have a brother coming over from Australia for a holiday next year and he wants to camp there.
I'll be looking for a nice discreet spot if we do go, and we'll leave no trace of our camp when we leave.
If you do go walking there, have a look for places to have some recreational enjoyment, a good place to park the car would be near the shops on the Wells estate, crass the road and your there, walking on paradise.

Cheers

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thanx for the info guys it has really help, hugo i will check the area out i havent lived here long so its nice to know i am near woods ;)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You could say that the only rule is not being found out, but when you consider that every bit of land is owned and that there are only limited resources out there, using someone elses wood to light a fire, never mind or not whether you leave a trace is not ethical. I have seen the results of people having barbecues, lighting fires in various woodlands where I live, my own policy is just to be there and leave alone.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I respect what you are saying Laurentius.
All land is owned by someone else, the land in question is owned by the local council a few very nice acres on the Ashtead end was for sale for a few millions a while back that was private, I played in these woods with friends and brothers for years, my take on it is leave no trace take a small stove if need be, and being a rate payer monkey boy is entitled to a bit of recreational enjoyment in my mind.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
well I went for a walk about epsom commons is a great wooded area, i sat down with a cut of pine needle tea, hugo thanks for telling me about the place ;)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I practically lived on there in my youth, I knew it like the back of my hand, going home in the dark was no problem.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I'd say avoid the open fire, if you do get caught they'll likely through the book at you. I have had no problem at all with using my Hobo stove however. Even in very public woods. Nothing wrong with careful stealth camping as long as you leave know trace IMHO!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
im gonna get to know the place first befor planning a sleep out, but it truely is a lovely place, its like a new relationship need to get to know each other first lol

Oct 24, 2011
You can not be charged with trespass as it is not a criminal offence It is a civil offence the land owner has to take you to court and sue you for damage to his propty for compensation or for you not leaving when he asked to do so. It is a private matter between you and the landowner not the state and you.That is why it is a good idea to get permition first But the landowner can say get of my land at anytime even if you got his permition and if you do not he can take you to court for trespassing on his land and sue you for compensation.
As far as I know, camping and especially fires are not allowed on forestry Commission Land, without special permission. The same goes for any private land as well. I would get permission from the land owner BEFORE you do anything. Check out local campsites that allow fires first (there is a post with a link somewhere on the forum), then get to know the local farmers, landowners. If you don't, you can open yourself to being charged with trespass which is not a good thing.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
That depends, if you dont leave any trace you may get away with it like that, but you may end up with some bolshy sod who wants to take it all the way. Do you want to take that chance?

Also, if you are burning anything then thats Arson, cutting wood up is criminal Damage, which ARE criminal matters, wich you can get nicked for them.

Oct 24, 2011
It is a good idea to check out the law on being a (free man on the land) If you are a free man on the land you can not be arrested at all It is unlawful for a Policeman to do so as you are a free man and not the propity of the state. It all has to do with Magnacarta the fondation stone of English law. Trespass is covered by Common law If you understand your common law rights you have a good foundation to stand on Common law can not be changed by parliment nore can thay over rule Magnacarta The law has ranks at the top is Magnacata then Common law then statute laws the laws made by Parlament a law made by Parlament can not overrule Common law or Magnacarta. So all you have to do is learn Common law and read the Magnacarta. As long as you do not brake these laws there is not much a court can do to you.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
Arson is the burning of someone elses propity dead wood is not the propity of the landowner it is the propity of the people and you are aloud to collect dead wood off the forest floor by common law. If the landowener comes along and says GET OFF MY LAND then you must do so at once or you are trespassing and he can sue you But the Police can not arrest you for trespass. If thay do you can sue them for false arrest and false imprisonment Thay can arrest you for criminal damage for walking on the landowners crops and that includes grass but once in court the landowner has to PROVE you damage it or anything on his land if he can not prove you damage anything then there is no case to awnser. if you think you are looseing the case then you can ask the court to take it to a judicial reveiw thay can not say no to this and in most cases the judge will throw out the case on some legal technicality as it cost the court a lot of money to do so far more then thay can fine you for criminal damage.
That depends, if you dont leave any trace you may get away with it like that, but you may end up with some bolshy sod who wants to take it all the way. Do you want to take that chance?

Also, if you are burning anything then thats Arson, cutting wood up is criminal Damage, which ARE criminal matters, wich you can get nicked for them.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
I use a simple rule with every thing I do and that is DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU or be nice to people and treat others with respect or if thay do something to you you can do it back to them.As you are treat them the way thay are treating you.I use the leave no trace Bushcraft as I beleave it shows the respect not only to the landowner but the land it's self I beleave in the Guya theory that the surface of the Earth in one giant living thing. Each year science find new conections like the Acacia trees in Africa that can communicate with one another if one tree is being eaten it tells the tree around it by releasing chemicals and thay the trees around it release a bitter chemical to stop them selfs being eaten that leans towards this theory.

Last edited:

furryface

Jul 8, 2011
cornwalll
i didnt realize it was so complicated! i agree with the showing of respect for others property and the like, but if your only there for the night and dont have a blazing fire to rival an afterburner and leave no trace when you go, are you breaking any moral laws? if nobody knows you were there isnt it like the saying if a tree falls and nobodys there to hear it does it make any sound?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE