What are Opinels like?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I wouldn't pop the lock off altogether - it detracts from the esthetics of the knife. Much better just to superglue it in place.

I never have less than three. Number 6 is my favourite.

Yep the 6 is the best too IMO. I wish I could get an olive wood handled 6 with a C blade.

I've always wanted to take a larger model and regrind the blade down into a smaller wharncliffe shape. Project for the summer maybe!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Cracking knives, the tip is well known for being easy to break but a lot of people re-grind them to make the point stronger. As has been said if you want it UK legal you could always glue the lock in place.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I hate to be the only one with a bad review, but I was fishing with a buddy of mine who had one--and we had to use MY knife to pry his open.
The darn wooden handle swelled with humidity and made the blade bind. Anyone else have this happen?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I hate to be the only one with a bad review, but I was fishing with a buddy of mine who had one--and we had to use MY knife to pry his open.
The darn wooden handle swelled with humidity and made the blade bind. Anyone else have this happen?

Yes all the time. Comes with the territory with unstabilized wood I suppose. The opinel is a friction folder of sorts so when the wood swells it can be a real pita to get a good grip on the blade with the finger nick they have. Only other negative for me is the lock works loose on mine, but it is about 12 years old so that's understandable

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Yeah - the wood isn't sealed, so it will swell up.

Dry it out, soak in oil with blade half-out. Work blade back and forth to loosen it a bit. Job done.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I use mine a fair bit and yes the very end of the tip has broken off so it's on the list to be slightly modified. I was pleased to see Opinel make a couple of UK legal non-locking ones but they're too small for me with a 1½in blade.

disconeil

Dec 30, 2010
south yorkshire
Hi Gotte,
I have owned an opinel for 5 years and used it exclusivley for gutting rabbits, it did this job brilliantly until I got it out of my bag and the end had broken off, I reground the end but it was never the same.
I'd have another tommorrow though,they are great to sharpen i find.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Opinel, bloody good knives! nuff said.
mines still pretty stiff to this day, it never seemed to have loosened up.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
i have carried one of these in my pocket for years and have used it everyday i have been through a couple and when my latest one dies i will be buying another the only trouble i have had is that it needs to be kept in a dry place as the damp makes the wooden handle swell and the blade is sometimes to stiff to get out easily, i left it outside over night once and when i needed it in the morning i couldnt open it but other than that i find it a very handy knife and easy to keep sharp and i dont leave the house with out it .

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I have a few #8s and a couple #6s and a little #4 for my glove box......love them and carry one all the time (#8 since I am in Canada).....

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that, guys. I got one yesterday and it looks great. I was going to oil the handle with a bit of linseed oil. I'm assuming from a previous comment this will stop the handle swelling and shrinking.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thanks for that, guys. I got one yesterday and it looks great. I was going to oil the handle with a bit of linseed oil. I'm assuming from a previous comment this will stop the handle swelling and shrinking.
Probably not unless you get the oil right into the groove at the blade end, It may well prove counter productive and make it a bit sticky for a while. The outside of the handle already has some sort of varnish on it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I read elsewhere someone was modding an Opinel with washers at the pivot point to stop the effects of the wood swelling. No idea if anything came of it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE