What Arctic Boots To Get?????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have no personal experiuence with the modern materials perform: I have seen some failures (e.g. a G-T bivy at -25 C was an epic fail), but that does not mean that the stuff isn't good when used appropriatly. As to skis I'm afraid I only have experience with two types of skis; Tegsnäs and Vita Blixten ("White Lightning", the nickname for the old wooden Swedish army ski). It is very possible that the modern plastics actually can deal well with +2 C; I was never able to get Tegnsäs to do so (but that might be my failure; is there a magic non-stick wax for slushy snow?)

My personal kit appears to go backwards in time rather than forwards; by the time I die I'll most likely will make Ötzi look like a hi-tech gear-head...

I do agee that you need to know what you are doing at -20 C (which I pointed out). But once you do know that (and have the proper kit) then -25 C is easier than -5 C. IMNSHO.

Well, that's not much of ski experience. You should try modern steel edged back country skiis. My Åsnes Rago are light years better in every single way than the army skis. I have only tried Tegsnäs once, and they were okay in loose snow, terrible on frozen snow. Have you done vasaloppet? I have twice, once in the army on white lightnings, and once with skating skis. Guess which pair that got me the best time? :D

I wet/cold conditions, I prefer modern materials any day. There is no traditional stuff that can perform in the vicinity of ptfe membranes and synthetic insulation.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Get a pair of boots that will fit two wool fest insoles and 2-3 pair of socks and you will be fine. I use my army wellies all the time and this winter they have worked down to -23 without any problems and the costed me about £20. Spend your money and time on knowledge instead of looking at ways to spend money.

If you do have the chance Sami reindeershoes with sami shoelaces are unbeateabe in really cold weather.

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
Just to add another view..

The problem is the width of the boot - if you're 11 and above they might not fit into the ski's, depending on the make/model. I'm a wide 9, and bought the Sorel Conquest in size 10.

I checked with Woodlore beforehand and they said they'll be fine. If you're in any doubt, phone them.

About sizing - I'm planning to wear only one pair of socks at any time (with spare's to hand). I possibly could have got away with the 9's, but I'm glad I went for the 10's. They're comfortable to walk in so you would get use out of them back in the UK. However, they do not have removable liners.

Given my budget, Tamarack recommended this pair and I'm very happy with them - you could always ask about order/posting a pair to you.

Do you fly on the 20th?

Dean

jimjolli

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2008
london
Thanks for all your help everybody.

I spoke to Tony at Tamarack and he was very helpful and after also speaking Woodlore I decided to go for the Sorel Caribou boot, and just prey they are not too wide for the skis.

The problem is that because of our current weather, there are pretty much no Sorels left for sale in the UK, unless your size 4 or size 16.
I went to ebay.com, rather than .co.uk and found a few good pairs for sale in the US and a lot cheaper than in the UK.
As well as the normal Caribou boots I found a pair of slip on Sorel Boots, which I liked too, so decided to get them as well. Obviously I will only be taking one pair, but I can decide which ones when I get them, and also use the felt inner boots from the other pair as my spare.
Both pairs, with shipping, cost the same as one pair in the UK, and if I decide I don't like one of the pairs, I can sell them on, as I'm sure to make my money back.

These are the ones I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....954652&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_693wt_1000

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....652378&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_552wt_1000

Dean, I'm flying out on the 13th.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE