What a "Woodlore" would be....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
....if it grew up ? :p

I just thought I post a couple of (crappy) pictures of my second foray into knifemaking from scratch.
5mm thick 01 with a Scandi grind. 6" blade. Brass hidden bolts, bolsters and 6mm lanyard tube with handle slabs of Lignum Vitae with thin black and white vulcanised spacers.

Not sure what design the sheath for this one will be yet as I only finished the handle yesterday.

Working with the Lignum Vitae was quite an eye opener. The stuff turned out to be very nearly as hard as the brass of the bolsters and it seems like nature designed the stuff for the sole purpose of clogging whatever sandpaper touched it within about 3 seconds flat!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Well, none of the names it was called whilst I was sanding the handle are printable on a family orientated forum :eek: , so how about the BBB or 3B knife?
(Big Bad "Bushy") :D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
:cool: :red: :cool:

that's a man size woody! excellent!

though i have to wonder how heavy a 5mm slab like that weighs, what with the brass and the LV too.

cheers, and.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Very nice mate!

and it seems like nature designed the stuff for the sole purpose of clogging whatever sandpaper touched it within about 3 seconds flat!

I know what you mean, Thuja is the same too! :aargh4:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thank you for the kind comments guys. Yes, it's a heavy beast but as anyone who's seen my bergen can tell you, I'm no minimalist who counts the ounces :rolleyes: This is the first knife I've ever fitted a lanyard tube to. My thinking was that if it proved to be useless as a knife I could always use it as an anchor for the canoe :lmao:
Once I've stopped doing all the other things that seem to fill up lifes spare time I'll get a sheath made and it will become safe to carry this knife out and see how well it fares in the real world. Until then I'll just content myself with knowing that I've finished it and it has an edge that a good mate described as " **** ! Thats scary even by your standards!"
Shinken, I made a couple of bits and bobs out of some Thuya Burr a few months back and that was nowhere near as much of a pain to sand as this has been. Nowhere near as hard either!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For oily wood I generally do most of my sanding wet. It does seem to keep the clogging down. In some regards, hard wood is easier to finish than the softer stuff. At least you can take it to nearly finished with files, whereas with something like walnut the files compress the wood and it takes ages to sand the marks out. Mind you, I haven't used lignum vitae. The above has worked out for cocobolo, bocote, rosewood and blackwood though. After hearing Longstrider's experiences, I think I will keep it that way :lmao:

One question though. Does Lignum Vitae oxidise with age? The stuff that I have seen all looked green, where-as Longstrider's pics show it as almost orange :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE