What a fantastic day!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
In complete fairness, that cuts both ways.
If monarchists don't want their views challenged (in what has so far been a polite, if somewhat playful, manner) then they shouldn't raise it.

As spectacular as the whole thing was, I do hope that all those who continue to struggle with the cost of living crisis, those who continue to need the services of food banks (and the ever growing cues) also took pride in the extortionate price the occasion cost - a pay packet picked up by the state (and thereby funded by us) who fail to provide for its citizens but seem to find the funds for what is an already ridiculously privately wealthy family.
Not to mention the peaceful protestors being carted off, and women's rights groups using the occasion to raise awareness of female safety (the very same Police who dragged them away having a poor track record when it comes to female safety - the irony of which I'm sure wasn't lost on anyone).

No, if you feel the need to 'share' your pride at all this, then don't get all uppity if others feel the need to share their displeasure. Especially when it's been done in a polite and civil manner.

Indeed if does - similar to a situation such as someone posting , oh, I don't know - a Vegan product then having the notion get challenged by omnivores an getting all sorts of butt hurt by having their beliefs challenged. It does indeed cut both way.

As for me I'm not a staunch Monarchist - but I can respect those on the forum that want to share their enjoyment of the day without some fun-sponge trying to shoe-horn their own personal rhetoric into the topic matter.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The very fact that this Coronation has brought into the economy many many times more that it cost always seems to be overlooked by some.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
It seems to me that this thread demonstrates the wisdom of BCuk's policy of eschewing political content. The thread has little to do with bushcraft.
You're right, none at all, that's why it's in the Other Chatter section.
As said before, discussing the Royal Family is NOT political in any way
This thread was meant to be a celibration of the magnificent pageantry and ceremony that makes this country so great on a truly global stage.

The amount of negativity on here is disappointing.

TeeDee is spot on, why take away someone else's enjoyment.?

Long live the King

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
It is a deeply political issue.
The event was paid for by a government who fails to pay adequately for nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers, teachers, and fails those who need food banks, etc.
The same government that stifled legal and legitimate peaceful demonstration.
Had the Windors stumped up the cash themselves I might not be so disgusted with the vulgarity of the event.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Mods.....

This thread is obviously not going in the happy and joyous direction I had hoped it would which is a great shame as once again the minority have ruined it.
To avoid giving a platform to their politicisation of a national treasure, please close or delete this thread

Long live the King

• Haha
Reactions: nigelp

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
It is a deeply political issue.
The event was paid for by a government who fails to pay adequately for nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers, teachers, and fails those who need food banks, etc.
The same government that stifled legal and legitimate peaceful demonstration.
Had the Windors stumped up the cash themselves I might not be so disgusted with the vulgarity of the event.
See post 44

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
...a Vegan product then having the notion get challenged...
If reductio ad absurdum is all you have left in your armoury then you may wish to rethink your tactics.

The amount of negativity on here is disappointing.
Rest assured, no one is either looking for, nor needs, your approval.

The very fact that this Coronation has brought into the economy many many times more that it cost always seems to be overlooked by some.
Give us the numbers then.
Because all you're doing right there is making an empty assertion. Come on, give us the numbers to back up your claim.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
You need to develop your critical and comprehension skills.
From the article your quoted:

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), said it was "unable to give costs, or a breakdown of funding" until after the event.

And:

The Coronation, he believes, will create the "massive boost" those businesses need to "get back on track" after they were hit by the Covid pandemic and subsequent train strikes.
(my emphasis added)
He 'believes'. Not quite the same as 'knows'. I believe that 2 plus 2 is 5. Doesn't make it so though, eh?

Another one from that article about another Royal event - the Queen's funeral. Now the numbers are in for that one:

some firms reported a loss of turnover in June 2022 after the four-day bank holiday weekend.
Oh dear, eh?

You'll be careful to read what you quote next time.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I'm out......

To quote a famous man.......

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”​

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Except I didn't twist anything, did I?
I quoted directly from the article.
Even your LBC article uses amorphous words such as 'expected.
And then it goes on to describe precisely how wealthy the Windsors are.
Come on.

Look, I'm not naive. Whether one likes the monarchy or not, they are there and that's all there is to it. And I fully accept that, whilst they are heads of state, there is responsibility to protect them. I also accept that some people adore them.
Mind you, I am also aware that women were once not allowed to vote, that slavery was tolerated.
But there came a time when it was thought this could not continue.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm surprised this thread took this long to devolve...
Whilst I do really empathise where people are coming from regarding costs of living etc, one point that I recently heard which I think is very important to consider is the crown estate - the land owned by the Crown, or in some ways, us the people... with that family currently (and one hopes into the future) having very fond views of nature and preservation, I tend to think of that land as being banked....hopefully forever...
Now should the monarchy be abolished, that land would then be in the hands of the governments to care for, protect and preserve.... can we trust that? Or do we see super highways, thousands of homes, favours for friends or it being sold to the highest bidder?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Head of state isn't political? He's the guy that invites a leader of a political party to form a government. The guy who opens and dissolves parliament. A government serves in his name. Prior to becoming king he was known as being heavily political. His spidery writings have even become partly made public. No you might get closer to claiming apolitical status for QEII but not the former Prince of Wales now king.

I think I've been labelled a fun sponge. I like that term, I hope it hasn't been trademarked! I'll have to remember it.

BTW was it my post about wishing the king lives long enough to bring in a Republic that triggered people? I only meant that king Charles like his predecessor I respect but that doesn't follow with the next generation which makes me believe a Republic will be coming. The next gen is destroying the reputation of the monarchy built up by the Queen's parents and carried on by the Queen. Add in the fact fealty isn't what gen z and gen alphas do so it's a matter of time.

As to living long enough... That comment was that he's 74yo. ONS
life expectancy is 87 years. Since I don't rate his kids enough to take over he's got about 13 years or so and I hope we lose the constitutional monarchy by then.

Flag waving will get opposing views. I didn't say anything on the day but day after I think it's perfectly acceptable. That's what's happening in the news too.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
For some reason you are allowed to make numerous comment on the royals with drawing undue comment. I think I was the fun sponge but you are welcome to join the ‘Sponge Fun Club’. As well a being a sponge of fun it also works to soak up senses of humour and induce petulance and a grand sense of self importance. A powerful weapon.

IMG_0898.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE