what 4x4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Fuel cost are a consideration here also. Although it is less than you folks pay, I don't think it will long and it will be right up there. I travel long distances to see family. Just made a 3600 mi. round trip to see my mother and work around her place.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Quill, yes it's a 2.5 litre turbo diesel , just done a 1900 mile round trip and worked out the MPG as 34 mpg !!!! (wonder if i lost a fuel reciept), most of the miles were done on French Motorways which are a joy to drive on compared to the uk. Stick it in 5th at 70 mph all the way or very nearly

S

SleepyWeasel

Excuse the butting in here, If you have the time and enjoy tinkering and aren't going to be using the vehicle for everyday transport then a 90/110 LandRover could be for you, I've had a 110 n/a 2.5ltr Diesel since Jan and it's done everything I've asked it to so far, it goes anywhere, it's reasonably comfortable, noisy, thirsty, leaks, needed money throwing at it(still does) and gives me great pleasure whenever I drive it. I paid £1300 for it and have spent nearly a grand on it so far. The loadspace in the back means that you can have all the little luxuries with you when you decide to spend a couple of days out and you can sleep in it as well, but only if you're 5'10" or under.
Parts are cheap and it's easy enough to work on, even for someone like me(bit hamfisted where spanners are involved) Another thing is wherever you go in it someone will eventualy turn up and talk to you about it, oh and other LandRover drivers waver at you and more often than not stop and offer assistance at roadside emergencies.
You'll also find lots of friends want to borrow you for moving stuff around as well, being able to stick a ton of stuff into the rear comes in handy.
If you want car like comfort and driving go for one of the smaller 4X4 out there, if you want an experience, try a Landy!

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you want Jeep fuel economy get an LR 101 (£3 - 5K).

Go anywhere, loads of room,excellent camper conservions and an experience - practicality mostly zero but what a vehicle. If only I had the spare cash.

If you want a cheap, easy to fix 4x4 to "play" in consider a Suzuki SJ ...(£500-1000 tops). Aaaarrgh cann't belive I just said that - thats it'll I'll disowned if it get out.

I've also got a mate with a very good condition Lada Cossak going for £550. Slower and heavier but will go most places and go on for ever.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
How about an Isuzu Trooper I got an old H reg 2.8 td handles as well as a car on the road (with a bit of a lean on corners) and I've heard they can be as good as landys off road

check out this site for a video of a trooper in action

http://www.muddy4x4.com/videos.htm :super:

Tyr

Oct 10, 2004
UK N Cyprus Canada off and on
Land Rover, the best 4x4xfar, I love them and whilst I still have a choice that will be it (well maybe a Range Rover if I win the lottery). Jeeps, I think they are bit naff and I have never really liked them the mpg, suspension and steering being problems for me.

Edi_M

That's an odd mix of choices. I can't comment on the Daihatsu other than to say if they were brilliant more people would own them. Then again, the Nissan Patrol isn't all that popular but is an excellent offroader, so what do I know?

I had a 300 Tdi Discovery so can impart my experience there.

4k puts you in MK1 200Tdi territory, or touching early 300Tdi (stay away, there are timing issues until late P/R plate and the damage can permanently affect the engine unless it is repaired early enough or complete failure was experienced). Bear in mind your stopping distance is atrocious (drum brakes on the rear, but unladen weight is 2.5 metric tonnes) and the outer rear-door handle is a dust magnet and prone to seizing. Panel fit is laughable (impacting bodywork repairs) and overall finish is, at best, of sixties quality. These are hand-finished vehicles and no two are alike (look at the rear bumper on two side-by-side). The transfer box on domestic-use only vehicles will also have seized & require attention. Simmonites, among others, do facia upgrade kits so a 200 can be made to look like a 300 for very little money. I had an R plate 300 from new, & I both loved and hated it. No end of niggling faults, but the only really significant one was the EGR valve failure which killed my fuel economy & had me trailing smoke. Expensive to maintain unless you're a DIY mechanic, and if you don't get a mechanical timing belt fitted you're looking at a new one every 48k. The mechanical belt + fitting costs the same as a main dealer 48k service. Bear in mind also that it's a 6 month/6k miles service interval. One alternative is that if you can afford the fuel bill, the V8 is a stormer. Take a look at the landrover enthusast websites for a better picture of both the community spirit surrounding the owners, and of course you'll be able to read all the horror stories.

On the Jeep Wrangler front, this is the closest anyone can get to a 90 without having a 90. My colleague owns one as a weekender. Many argue that the 90 is better, & if you compare the diesels of both that would be true, but the petrol version paints a slightly different figure, and it's an absolute hoot when you give it gas. What is more attractive about the 90 is that it's a classless & timeless go-anywhere vehicle. What's not so attractive is that unmodified it won't go above 85, handles like a breezeblock at anything over 60 and is uncomfortable over long distances.

4K would also get you a v.high mileage freelander, but STAY AWAY FROM THE PETROL ONE!!!! We've got a 1.8 anniversary model, very pretty & my wife won't part with it, but the rover k-16 has a notable design flaw in the head-gasket that LR won't fix for free outside of normal warranty if the engine is anything other than vanilla (ours isn't), and will break between 40-60k miles (ours did). Ignore the offroad purists, this is a decent offroader compared to the same-class lifestyle offroaders & is a comfortable cruiser. Loadspace is disappointing, though. The only thing in it's class that comes close all-round is the nissan x-trail, which is still too new so out of budget.

The trooper is also an excellent workhorse vehicle, & generally more reliable than its competitor, the Discovery. It's not a good road-car though, the disco is marginally better handling though slower. The engine in the trooper has better towing power too. The only thing it doesn't have is the clubby ownership support of the LRs. I nearly bought one to replace my Disco after losing count of how many times I went back to the dealer over niggling faults that shouldn't exist on a £22k vehicle (in 1997).

You may even be within budget for a 3-door 3 litre nissan patrol (the newer shape, not the tonka), but the fuel economy is atrocious and if you tip it over the whole roof collapses unless you fit a rollcage. Also handles like a boat. Well equipped and a great offroader, though.

What am I in now? an 04 plate Discovery TD5 Commercial. No problems. None. If I could have a second 'play in the mud' toy, I'd have a 101.

Sorry for such a long post, & I know many will disagree with my opinions but I hope this helps - you can't have too much information & 4k is a lot of money to make an uninformed mistake with.

L

Lycanthrope

Second hand range rover's gotta be the one. I've got a 3.5ltr V8, E reg and she's far more comfortable than any Disco or Defender, I tried both of them before the Range Rover and at 6'5" it's the only one I can drive in comfort.
It's also LPG converted so I get about 200miles for about £20.

Also with the huge all terrain wheels there's pretty much no where in-accessable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE