whale scoop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
I would like to show a scoop that i recently finished. It is carved from some kind of root burr. It was found in a wooded area that containes ,both broad leaf and pine. It was found amongst a tangled root mass, that was on the surface of the wood floor.So it could be from either.I call this scoop the whale scoop,because after de-barking it, it reminded me of a whale.I gave it a tail made from a piece of goat horn. I first drllied a small hole into the horn,then epoxyed a dowel screw into it.Then did the same with the end of the burr.Clamped them together the best i could and left to dry.I rough carved the horn with a knife,then gave its final shape with small files and sanded down to 1200 grit.Finishing with 0000 steel wool.The scoop has had 3 coats of alkanet root oil stain,then finished with about 6 coats of walnut gun stock oil.(I must start useing a food grade finish then i can use my spoons scoops etc).The oil finish does not seem to have affected the horn in any way.Thanks for taking the time to look.All comments wellcome
Regards Chris.

GEDC0288.jpg

GEDC0289.jpg

GEDC0291.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
is walnut oil not food safe, or am i missing something?

edit: sorry, forgot to say; lovely piece of carving mate, i like that a lot

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Beautiful carving!
Nice piece of wood, i like the grain.
It was the decision of the wood to let you make a whale out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE