West-wind vs Norrona

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Alfa

Hi,

I stumbled on this site while googling for ventile.The reason (if one needs one) for the googling was the need (real or perceived) for a new winter (cold, not wet) jacket.
After some more googling and searching I found some candidates. West-winds Antarctic Smock (ventile) and Norrona's Arktis Anojacket (Arktis (?) cotton).
The big question is ofcourse which! :rolleyes:
Anybody any experience with either?

leon-1

I own 2 west winds jackets and am quite a fan of ventile, I have never used Norrona so can't really give you an opinion on them.

That having been said I would probably go for the West-Winds stuff as I favour Ventile and I already know what the quality will be like:)

Welcome to BCUK:D

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Hi!

I`ve used The Arctic Anojacket by Norrøna and its a good jacket for Arctic conditions since its the thickest cotton I`ve used. Excellent hood. But I did`nt like the pockets, weight so I sold it to a wilderness friend in need of such a jacket.

Think the Ventile will suit you better if the design and cut is right for you since its the best cotton around.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The pockets on the West Winds are terrible. I really dislike the velcro closure and it takes two hands to get them open, one to pull on the tab and the other to hold the smock against my body to give something to pull against.

Also, there is no "chin guard" at the top of the zip (where it matters) and the hard nylon material of the zip grates on my neck.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Thanks Steven. Almost same system on the 2 lower pockets on the Norrøna Anojacket. Maybe if you get velcro and cover half of it will improve while staying put? And if need be you`ll take the velcro tabs off for maximum closure.

No Slider flap in the cold sounds mascosistic :lmao: Especially with beard.

So whats the best pockets on an Arctic cotton jacket then? Zip with button tab backup?

A

Alfa

I ordered a Antarctic Smock. Ordered it last week from SOF (www.sofmilitary.co.uk), received it today!!!! A fur trimming on the hood was not possible they said. Receiving it so fast, being only available in OG and accepting "specials", makes me believe that they must have some standard smocks in stock!
There's no chinguard as such, however behind the zip is a triangular piece of clothsewn on both sides, which when zipped up covers the zip. The drawcords are elasticated. Also present is a hoodvolume adjuster ( cord and toggle) and a half inck wide band and fastex buckle at the bottom to prevent ride-up. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE