West Highland Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Hi all, Jason (Jag009) an I are planning ontackling the West Highland Way on Friday (22nd July) over roughly 7 days give or take. If anyone wants to come do the walk or come for a few days etc then you are more than welcome, dare say Jason could use a hand when he's hauling me up some hills :lmao:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's swmbo weekend off again and my rust bucket is in for it's m.o.t. This week.

But I'll see what transpires through the week.

Does a fortnight no' sound better? Lol...

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Personally I want to try and tackle it in 96 days (A mile or 2 a day) :lmao: but work says no :(

Would be good if you could make it but I know the MOT feeling it's a bugger :lol:

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
jinsin456 i will see if i can make it on friday as i would luv to try the west highland way Atb Allan

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
theres surely some tough hills there and the weather can be treacherous. i did the nokia coast to coast adventure race from nairn to fort william 2 years ago which took in the end of it. there was no shelter, it rained and rained, the wind was dire and then it started to snow. oh, the month? september. then came the mud slide descent but we had turned off the way by that time. have a good one

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Swmbo s just in from work.
(I've been helping Darren Clarke celebrate his waste of a good walk), she can't decide yet.....

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Are you waking it or canoeing it ??

With the amount of rain we have had this summer a canoe or at least a good pair of wellies might be needed ! :)

Craig.......

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just spoke to big Jason, hes on the final stage of his now solo West Highland Way adventure, he,s now going to be doing it over the 5 days instead of the 7 days as originally planned. He mentioned that unfortunately Scotty (Jinsin) had to pull out just after day 2 on the way, says he had a really good go at it but was hurting, i'd imagine the heat we've had up here recently wont have helped him, but at least he was willing to give it a good go, and id imagine he would have learned a lot about hiking over big distances and to be fair to him, he was hiking with a full pack and camping along the way as well, most people stay in B&B's their first time around and dont attempt it with a guy more experienced whos got a ultralight backpack on his back. Anyway well done to both of them, wish i was there doing it too, but planning on heading up in a day or two and joining Jason and going on to Inverness on the Great Glen Way.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Wish I'd have known about this. Only done the last two days of it. How quick do you think it is reasonable to do it if you are lightweight and move fast for most of the day?

Got the next three days off so will get out and about myself somewhere. Just re-proofed my tarp after a wet day on top of a hill in storm force winds. Seems its lost its waterproof qualities after a couple of years. Must be time for MLD purchase or at least Alpkit rig7. Enjoy your WHW extension Colin. Weather is going to be good I think.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Aye unfortunately I had to give up about 32 miles in :( made it to rowardennan and started puking I think due to the heat and mainly dehydration as I couldn't manage to take enough water on, despite Jason trying to get me to drink as much as I could. I've also just relearned to walk today as the blisters on my feet were absolutely killing me but managed to put up with them for as long as I could.

Feel a bit disappointed that I only managed 2 days but I feel like I accomplished a lot, the longest walk I had ever done previous was 13 miles with a daypack and I managed 20 miles including conic hill with a 12kg backpack on and 15 the next by the time I had walked back. I did literally break towards the end though which was really a horrible feeling. It did however give me a chance to learn what I was up against as I had trined all the wrong ways, our hills in Ayrshire tend to be long and drawn out whereas the hills up there are sharp and steep, strathclyde hill nearly killed me lol!!

One final thing to say though is thank you so much to Jason, honestly what a guy, he really made sure I was okay throughout the whole walk and genuinely helped a lot. It actually cannot be put into words what a saint this guy is and I thank him whole heartedly for his help and banter along the way.

One final thing to mention is thank you to the forum as it was here that I had the chance to meet the big fella and I am so glad I did.

Think I will get into some serious training now and try and hit it in the colder months buts I think it's car camping for me for the time being :)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Conic hill is a nice introduction, not easy with the heatwave n rain last few days. You can always give it another go later on.
Good effort mind and try it sooner than later though.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
You did better than me mate! Many years ago I started it with a friend and my Aunt, who lives in Milngavie, kept telling us "your packs are too heavy!"

Well, we made it to Balmaha (avoiding Conic Hill!) and sat in our tent with aching feet and backs, listening to Oasis playing live across the water. "who's flipping stupid idea was this then?" we both said to each other... Bus home the next day :(

Epic Fail!

However, it is on my list to do so if you fancy it for next year- count me it!

ATB

KP

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
catching the early morning 6.05am train to fort william, will meet up with jason and then the great glen way over 4 or 5 days, looking forward to a nice wee walk/camp over the next few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE