we're off camping! help with sleeping bags =]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
helloooo,

we're going camping this weekend and need some sleeping bags, we will be using a tarp, mat and bivvy bags. sleeping bags need to be warm but we're on a budget. want to spend about £35 max per bag.

we were looking at the vango 350 bags, are these ok for what we need them for??

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...we're going camping this weekend and need some sleeping bags, we will be using a tarp, mat and bivvy bags. sleeping bags need to be warm but we're on a budget. want to spend about £35 max per bag.

we were looking at the vango 350 bags, are these ok for what we need them for??

You've left this a bit late! There are several models of Vango 350. This one:

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Vango/Nitestar350SleepingBag.aspx

will be fine but I'm sure almost any sleeping bag will do for the sort of weather we'll have on the May bank holiday in England. Most sleeping bag specifications tell you what temperature they're good for, this one says at -1 degrees you should be comfortable. I think you can usually add a few degrees to what the maker says (so you'll still probably be comfortable:) ). Well warm enough, anyway. You don't sound like you've done this a lot, so if sleeping on the ground on a mat is going to be a new experience, well, welcome to the forum!

Take warm clothing too, several thin layers is better than one thick one.

For real decadence I don't think you can beat a hot water bottle or two. :)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Three season might be OK for this time of year, but think about whether your a cold or warm sleeper, and don't underestimate how cold it can get at 2am, even in May.

Before we were married, my wife and I went to the New Forest one Easter (which was late). We'd hiked in the warm sunshine during the day (there wasn't a cloud in the sky), set up the tent, and when night fell, we decided to eat. The tinned frankfurters my other half had bought were opened - the brine in the tin was slushy...and brine doesn't freeze easily. Eventually we decided to go to sleep - my darling in a cheap sleeping bag she'd had for years (in her PJ's!). Me, fully clothed, in my Osprey 12. An hour latter, I heard her teeth chattering. I put on her every spare bit of clothing we had and she had the Osprey. Next day we found a B & B.

If you feel the cold, get the best bag you can, and dont assume that the bags stated comfort is yours. Have a look at http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/217 - she's the gear editor of the US backpacker magazine - very helpful.

The Vango does look good though, but think about a fleece liner if you do get cold http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Microfleece_Sleeping_Bag_Liner.html - £11.99 isn't bad.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I've had a nitestar 350 for a few years now and I can't fault it at all. I'm not known for being light on my gear but there's not a single rip or hole in it, the zip hasn't had a single hiccup but I have managed to muller the straps on the compression sack due to being a bit heavy handed! The shoulder baffle is good in these too, the main reason I'm finding it hard to retire this for a Rab Quantum.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Three season might be OK for this time of year, but think about whether your a cold or warm sleeper,

me an scott went out last night so i could try out my new bivi bag and snugpack softie 10
& i was far too warm and was that uncomfortable..being too hot i didnt sleep so i am going too try the merlin 3 bag instead next outing...atb shogun

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Thanks for the advise guys. We went with the nitestar 350 in the end, got them today and even got a pink one for swmbo!! lol

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
far too warm and was that uncomfortable..being too hot i didnt sleep so i am going too try the merlin 3 bag instead next outing

Thats the thing with bags, the rating is average - if your a warm sleeper, then the 10 is far too hot: if your cold, your miserable. Its certainly worth asking other people (or checking out somewhere like this forum or Outdoor Magic) to see if the rating is fair, but also to think how you sleep. The Merlin is a lovely bag, with a comfort rating of 15-5 degrees, but its up to the individual to decide what they mean by 'comfortable'.

Personally, I've long realised that if someone steals all the duvet, they are probably a 'cold' sleeper, and the other person is going to have to be either a 'warm' sleeper, or a very cold one!

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Thats the thing with bags, the rating is average - if your a warm sleeper, then the 10 is far too hot: if your cold, your miserable. Its certainly worth asking other people (or checking out somewhere like this forum or Outdoor Magic) to see if the rating is fair, but also to think how you sleep. The Merlin is a lovely bag, with a comfort rating of 15-5 degrees, but its up to the individual to decide what they mean by 'comfortable'.

Personally, I've long realised that if someone steals all the duvet, they are probably a 'cold' sleeper, and the other person is going to have to be either a 'warm' sleeper, or a very cold one!

i am defos a warm sleeper i sleep with the window open and lie on top of the duvet..
the snugpak 10 maybe the bag for me when its snowing but it was far too warm for me in this weather..
i am hopeing the merlin is a lot cooler..i like too feel some cold when i sleep if that makes sense...atb allan..

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
If you've only got £35, then you'll probably have to settle for a single double season bag - which wont be terribly warm if it decides to spontaniously snow, rain , hail or it it's very windy.

Head down to millets or blacks, and they know what they are talking about (usually) and will sort you out.

Ph34r

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i think millets have a sale on too...some bags are half price!!....atb Allan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE