Welly Care Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I have a pair of Seeland neoprene lined wellies like these.
http://www.seelanduk.co.uk/products/seeland-products/footwear/allround-18-4mm-boot.html
I'd had them for seven months when a crack formed in the rubber outer, so I took them back to the shop, which was very helpful and replaced the boots without demur. I think it is only fair that I praise SCATS in Romsey for their good customer service.

However, when I got the new pair, the lady in the shop asked me if I wished to buy a bottle of special rubber boot care lotion, the implication being that its use might prevent the rubber cracking. It was rather optimistically priced at £10 for a tiny bottle, and I was sceptical. So my question is - Have I been missing something when it comes to Wellington boot care? My usual regime is just occasional cleaning the mud off the outside, which doesn't get done very often at the moment, as the boots will only get muddy again the next day.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
However, when I got the new pair, the lady in the shop asked me if I wished to buy a bottle of special rubber boot care lotion, the implication being that its use might prevent the rubber cracking. It was rather optimistically priced at £10 for a tiny bottle, and I was sceptical. So my question is - Have I been missing something when it comes to Wellington boot care? My usual regime is just occasional cleaning the mud off the outside, which doesn't get done very often at the moment, as the boots will only get muddy again the next day.

Rubber care solution? That's a new one on me :dunno:

My regime for care of wellies when I used to wear them was the same as yours and my wellies lasted years that way

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The rubber in some high end wellygoggles i belive is not like the rubber of old. We've all seen hunters etc crack with dryness and age , same as tyres perish.
I'm sure wellies like seeland muck boots etc use a more natural rubber and can absorb to a degree certain oils that benifit the longevity?
Just what I heard / read somewhere.......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was sold some rubber preserving oil for the seals on my dry suit - the seals I used it on lasted less time than a set I left untreated.....

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Had my hunters around 6 years now and they are still as good as new. I guess the magic stuff from the shops is similar as the stuff sold to shine up latex.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good tip!
But we never get sun in West Wales.... :)

Don't seem to be getting much round here at the moment, either. I wouldn't say that my wellies have ever been overexposed to UV, so I guess I was just unlucky with my first pair. TBH if the new ones can last as long as the soles take to wear down (probably just a year) then I shall be happy enough.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm on my second pair of Le Chameau rubber wellies at the moment; the first pair lasted just two years of very heavy use and I laughed at the thought of paying £8 for a tin of their "magic rubber goo". When I bought the second pair the guy in the store told me they'd last twice as long with a squirt of this stuff every now and then, so I gave it a try. The second pair are now in their third year and have had even more abuse than the first pair, but guess what? he was right, and this pair look and feel the same as the day I bought them. The spray tin I bought lasted over a year, and as I apply it I can see and feel the difference in the rubber, much more supple and better-feeling.

I use the goo about once a month, just wash and brush the boots with tap water, leave to dry, spray the goo on and wipe in with a cloth - job done in less than 5 minutes; I have no doubt at all that it's well worth doing.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The kayakers and Hot-tubbers favourite; 303 aerospace protectant

I use the stuff to stop the rubber hatches on my kayak from cracking and on the kayak body.

My understanding is that along with UV and chemical damage to polymers, the plasticizers that keep the stuff elastic degrade over time. Adding some additional plasticizer, cleaning and reducing UV damage is what these treatments basically do. Rubber also needs to be flexed regularly to stir the plasticizers around a bit to keep it elastic.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The kayakers and Hot-tubbers favourite; 303 aerospace protectant

I use the stuff to stop the rubber hatches on my kayak from cracking and on the kayak body.

My understanding is that along with UV and chemical damage to polymers, the plasticizers that keep the stuff elastic degrade over time. Adding some additional plasticizer, cleaning and reducing UV damage is what these treatments basically do. Rubber also needs to be flexed regularly to stir the plasticizers around a bit to keep it elastic.

That's good info., and is probably refering to what's in the goo I was sold......................

Wellie care for me is a scrub with a stiff brush. I have a pair off wellies that have been on the go since the foot and mouth. My dad was issued them at the time and he gave them to me when I needed a pair. Coming from a farming family they have been well worn, to the point where the soles are nearly bald. I personally think that the materials used to make a lot of wellies now just isn't great, mine have been covered in all manner of chemicals and slurry ect and have lasted. I suppose you can't turn up to a posh shoot in a pair of quad bike specials., but for the occasional field day longevity isn't a huge factor but appearance is.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
All the wellies I saw on the F&M job were PVC................different game to the rubber ones; PVC wellies just cook my feet but I can walk 7 or 8 miles in the good rubber ones without ruining my feet.........

Aye, they were indeed pvc. Although they were tough as heck and wide enough on the leg to get a decently thick socks breeks and overalls in. I don't find my feet cook in them though and I've worn them for 10 hours a day. I find though that like any boots the top needs to be loose enough to vent. Most of the premium ones are basically riding boots and soak my legs.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Hi,
If your wellies are natural rubber, then wash the dirt off, dry naturally and put a silicone spray on them.
Also store them in a place with an even temperature which is out of direct sunlight.
As the silicone puts a coating on the rubber they should be easier to clean, and you should only need to apply once a month.
I always treat my leather boots the same way, keep them clean, but apply polish instead of silicone. The oils keep the leather soft, and also helps to keep them waterproof, and easier to clean.
I hope this helps you out.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I thought that was the point of wellies - waterproof and minimal care. I was wrong, as my Muckboots have just developed a crack after three years' light use. Not pleased!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am glad I only have a cheap pair of B&Q wellies. Must have had them at least a decade and they haven't shown the slightest signs of perishing or leakage. I wear them on the allotment so it is not as if they don't get a fair amount of abuse.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I am glad I only have a cheap pair of B&Q wellies. Must have had them at least a decade and they haven't shown the slightest signs of perishing or leakage. I wear them on the allotment so it is not as if they don't get a fair amount of abuse.

You nearly had me there......I almost forgot how wearing wellies at the allotment was hard use:D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE