Welly Care Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Hi,
If your wellies are natural rubber, then wash the dirt off, dry naturally and put a silicone spray on them.
Also store them in a place with an even temperature which is out of direct sunlight.
As the silicone puts a coating on the rubber they should be easier to clean, and you should only need to apply once a month.
I always treat my leather boots the same way, keep them clean, but apply polish instead of silicone. The oils keep the leather soft, and also helps to keep them waterproof, and easier to clean.
I hope this helps you out.

Same for me, a squirt of silicon spray seems to work a treat!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I must be doing something wrong, I've had my no name steel toe capped welly's (brought from a local agro merchant for about £20) for 3 years now, getting daily use for hours on end and they're showing no signs of wear and tear.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
The ex pensive boots like the ones you have got are for week end farmers and hoo rah henrys they are not any good for tough out door work they break for a pass time.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The ex pensive boots like the ones you have got are for week end farmers and hoo rah henrys they are not any good for tough out door work they break for a pass time.

Try walking 10 - 15 miles a day in your PVC jobbies for any length of time: You may be able to do it for a while when young and fit, but you'll pay a very heavy price, and sooner rather than later..................

Lokk after your feet like you do your eyes, you only get one pair, and remember, "No hoof, No horse!".

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Try walking 10 - 15 miles a day in your PVC jobbies for any length of time: You may be able to do it for a while when young and fit, but you'll pay a very heavy price, and sooner rather than later..................

Lokk after your feet like you do your eyes, you only get one pair, and remember, "No hoof, No horse!".

I would not walk that far in those that is what hiking boots are for but yes you are right look after your feet

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Animal poo is one of the killers of rubber boots. Though the higher the content of natural rubber the more resistant it is. On rubber mixes the poo, sunlight and other stuff conspires to break it down into it's constituent parts. So as said silicone spray or WD40 sprayed onto clean dry boots every so often will help keep them going for longer.

It doesn't take long to give the odd wash and spray but it does mean you look like the polished newbie at any shoots you attend!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I was always taught to use glycerine on natural rubber. Apparently it can soften hardened rubber - but haven't tried that, only used it for maintenance.

This is correct. Not only natural rubber but some synthetic versions too. I have a leather soap with glycerine, for saddles, leatherbags, and dog gear. It works wonders for my wellies too. And my lundhags (both leather and rubber). In fact I use it on all my leather items when they're dirty! Just work up a stiff lather with a small amount of water on a sponge and rub it in. Finish of with wax (not on the wellies though).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE