Wellies - where to get them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I agree with the above post.

After having spent the previous 50 years of my life wearing cheap wellies I now have to testify that Muck Boots were a revelation to me. The difference to the toll on my feet in every single way is worth the price for me. They are expensive and I didn't purchase them from my large stash of money but I really felt I needed to take better care of my feet. I buy good quality hiking boots and shoes so why not do the same with wellies?

The quality you purchases does depend on what your are wearing the boots for and how often. If I only wore them to potter around in the back garden in then I'd be quite happy to continue wearing a ten quid pair from B&Q.

anyone round our way stock 'em or did you get 'em mail order? I quite fancy the steel toecapped version but would like to try them on first.
EDIT: or I could just ask you tommorow...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Incorrect, the chap asked for a decent pair of wellies. The mention of ones costing a small fortune was a simple observation to put the cost of a decent pair in perspective in case £40 was considered expensive.
The original poster was happy with the reply so who the hell are you to be critical about it.
It has been said before on this forum about the tetchy bunch of members that appear to be out to cause arguments for the sake of it, spoiling what should be a friendly meeting place.
What are they putting in the water down there ?
Anyway I am who I am and until I get banned I will post whatever I want within the rules, and if smileys do it for you then :nana:

Decent pair of wellies is subjective to use, £40 is a lot of money for some. As for me being critical, yes I am, I'm P****d off with people spouting off about high cost gear when there are often cheaper alternatives that could be offered that can satisfy the users current needs and can be upgraded when their cash flow or needs grow.

I'm lucky in that at my age I can pretty much buy whatever takes my fancy, not always at once, but if my mind is set I can get the cash together, but that does not mean I'll dash out spend £xxx on gear or kit I'll only use for say thirty nights of the year. I look at what I really need and what will do the job; if this analysis saves me money then its a bonus. I have the knowledge and experience to do this, newbies often don't and so will often take what they read here as 'the way'

You see questions from new comers like "Hi I'm new to all this, what rucksack do I need", well I would say something like a used Bergen or 35 litre Swedish pack, but no, its "Get a Kiraru, Sabre" etc, "I'm new what sleeping bag is best" ex army 58? No, "Get a Snugpak" or "I'm new, whats the best jacket" Army Gortex? No "Get a Ventile, or eVent". Many newcomers to this hobby don't have the cash for these buys good as they are and it may be the case they don't need them because the cheaper options do the job, or that after trying out camping decide its not for them. Start off with simple basic stuff and work your way up the kit/uniform ladder.

So come on people, when someone asks for help don't dive in at the top end of the kit market, keep it simple.

The water is just fine in Wales by the way, and if you or anyone else fancies a pop at me send me an email.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Typical, it is you that was having a pop in the first place, if you bothered to read the thread properly you would have realised that I was not recommending top end kit and was critical of it as a warning.
I stand by my recommendation of hunters for around £40, others have recommended muck boots at a tad more. If you want a decent pair of wellies that fit properly and are comfortable then that is the price range.
It is caustic, contentious or critical remarks fired from the hip by long standing members that let this site down by causing unnecessary bad feelings, so on that score well done.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Typical, it is you that was having a pop in the first place, if you bothered to read the thread properly you would have realised that I was not recommending top end kit and was critical of it as a warning.
I stand by my recommendation of hunters for around £40, others have recommended muck boots at a tad more. If you want a decent pair of wellies that fit properly and are comfortable then that is the price range.
It is caustic, contentious or critical remarks fired from the hip by long standing members that let this site down by causing unnecessary bad feelings, so on that score well done.

£40 is not slumming it either, like I said take it private if you want to get up close and personal when talking to me.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall

I have worn wellies almost everyday of the winter, my whole working life, and ive always been perfectly comfortable in wellies costing a tenner, maybe a couple of quid more for a steel toe cap. If i limped around in discomfort .. then i might have to rethink, but i never have, and as far as i know, neither have the hundreds ive worked with, who wear similar cheap wellies

so i dont think theres any magical price point that buys comfort . just depends on the individual. tho a welly that youre feet dont sweat in would be nice

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If it makes anyone feel any better I can say I have been limping around (because of chaffing and sore feet) in both expensive and cheap wellies. :eek:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Decent pair of wellies is subjective to use, £40 is a lot of money for some. As for me being critical, yes I am, I'm P****d off with people spouting off about high cost gear when there are often cheaper alternatives that could be offered that can satisfy the users current needs and can be upgraded when their cash flow or needs grow.

I'm lucky in that at my age I can pretty much buy whatever takes my fancy, not always at once, but if my mind is set I can get the cash together, but that does not mean I'll dash out spend £xxx on gear or kit I'll only use for say thirty nights of the year. I look at what I really need and what will do the job; if this analysis saves me money then its a bonus. I have the knowledge and experience to do this, newbies often don't and so will often take what they read here as 'the way'

You see questions from new comers like "Hi I'm new to all this, what rucksack do I need", well I would say something like a used Bergen or 35 litre Swedish pack, but no, its "Get a Kiraru, Sabre" etc, "I'm new what sleeping bag is best" ex army 58? No, "Get a Snugpak" or "I'm new, whats the best jacket" Army Gortex? No "Get a Ventile, or eVent". Many newcomers to this hobby don't have the cash for these buys good as they are and it may be the case they don't need them because the cheaper options do the job, or that after trying out camping decide its not for them. Start off with simple basic stuff and work your way up the kit/uniform ladder.

So come on people, when someone asks for help don't dive in at the top end of the kit market, keep it simple.

The water is just fine in Wales by the way, and if you or anyone else fancies a pop at me send me an email.

Sorry to say it but i agree with Rik as i am relatively new to bushcraft myself. Take for instance the gransfors sfa, yes, a nice axe but nearly £50 !! i couldn't justify spending that sort of cash for something i would not use very often. I do own eVent clothing in my real life but hey, i wont get holes in my coat walking round town on my luch break will i from a camp fire?, for that i've got a beaten up old sas windproof smock which cost me £20.
£40+ for a pair of wellies, outrageous. :D

Everyone has opinions on things so i suggest to agree to disagree on this matter. Think of all that chocolate you could buy with £40, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

dangerpie

Dec 5, 2008
Thame, Oxfordshire
I found some of these snow-shoe type things in my house. They were bought a couple of years ago for around £25 I think from Beans of Bicester. I went on a walk with them when it was snowy and they were great! Nice and comfy, warm, very flexible and easy to walk in, and most importantly waterproof (although I haven't tried them in very deep very wet mud for example)

I've had a look around on the interwebs, but I can't seem to find any info about them. All I can see to identify them as any kind of brand is "Brando" on the bottom of the shoe, so if anyone knows of a site where they're sold feel free to add! :)

shoe1.jpg

shoe2.jpg

Pete :)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a pair of le cham wellies with vibram sole and outlast lining, i'm sure they retail now around £75 but i have had them for nealry 8 years and they are as good as they day i bought them, i have a problem with going over on my ankle allot, with cheapo wellies they offer no ankle support. Years of experience with neoprene waders they just don't seem to last, they either wear through or split at a seam. I wonder how long the muck boots will last in compared with a pair of le cham?

All the manufacturers le cham, hunter etc have ranges in the £40-50 region as well and they are worth a look, give them 10 years and see how many muck boots etc are still kicking about

I think all of the posts should be welcomed whether recommending cheap or expensive equipment, or somewhere in the middle - as long as they explain the pro's & con's. :thanks:

We don't know the financial situation of those who are asking for advice, nor should we assume they are unable to make a choice based on their needs, budget, etc.

Therefore, we should not censor the advice we give.

I for one have wasted money, buying cheap gear which I have used once or twice before realising I needed to upgrade - and would hence have preferred to have spent a little more in the first place (hindsight being wonderful etc.).

THE WORST THING TO DO IS BICKER ABOUT THE CONTENT OF OTHER POSTS UNNECESSARILY. :banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE