Drawstring problem (on smocks) - has this happened to you? How to solve it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Malta Convoy

Nov 6, 2022
USA/South Korea
Hello to all,

I have a two-fold problem with the drawstrings on my Arktis smocks. The drawstrings at the right-hand side of the hood and at right side of the waist keep getting caught on the velcro that secures the storm flap. This has happened over and over so many times that now, the drawstrings are fraying and getting pulled apart from my removing them from the velcro after they get stuck. My questions are:

1. Is there a good way to secure and/or make shorter these drawstrings, so they can't get caught on the velcro (a specific knot I can tie, or a commercial product to clip them together)? I searched YouTube but found no help there.

2. Who makes the drawstrings Arktis uses and where can I buy replacements? Two of my drawstrings are getting pretty ratty from getting snagged in the velcro so much.

Thanking you in advance for any help with this headache of a problem...

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I had the same with my arktis smock and I got so fed up with it I swapped the cord they use for thin dyneema cord - doesn’t get stuck now, BUT the cord locks don’t grip it so well :( I also shortened them so that when not cinched down they don’t have a ‘tail’ on them

I didn’t change the waist cords although I did shorten them aswell

Reactions: Malta Convoy

Malta Convoy

Nov 6, 2022
USA/South Korea
I had the same with my arktis smock and I got so fed up with it I swapped the cord they use for thin dyneema cord - doesn’t get stuck now, BUT the cord locks don’t grip it so well :( I also shortened them so that when not cinched down they don’t have a ‘tail’ on them

I didn’t change the waist cords although I did shorten them aswell
How did you shorten the cords? Did you cut them or tie them back somehow?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE