Well, Shrivel My Bits...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

...of meat.

830g (just shy of 2lbs) of beef topside...

IMG_1128_cr.jpg

The wider pieces were cut in two before hanging.

I like my jerky au naturel and not heavily flavoured with marinade and so on, so it had just a faint sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and freshly ground coriander seeds.

Hanging on the oven rack with cocktail sticks ready to go...

IMG_1129_r.jpg

Plenty of room between the pieces...

IMG_1130_r.jpg

It had about 3.5 hours in a fan oven at around 60C-ish (140F - 150F) with the door propped open a cm or so with a spoon handle. Left the jerky in the oven to cool with the door still ajar. Haven't got an oven thermometer so can't be exact with the temperature I used; and it's the first time a) I've used this oven and b) a fan oven to make it. It's perhaps a tiny bit drier than I would have liked but maybe that's no bad thing. Quite like the idea of the fan oven as the air is moving constantly and so I would think that all the pieces should get fairly even heat.

IMG_1135_r.jpg

So 830g of meat became 250g of jerky...

IMG_1138_cr.jpg

Now, it must be about time for a tinny and some...errr...

Happy Equinox!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
looks good to me, I never realised you could make jerky like that, last time we done it was outside with a makeshift stone slab chimney and a fire made from oak wood, i also prefer doing it without any spices, venison is particularly delicious au natural with the subtle oaky tones, i think i'm gonna have to give the fan oven a whirl at the jerky

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
I use a Flavourwave...as i dont actually have an oven....or a cooker makes great jerky, and 'Liver Leather' for my dog.that Liver dried till black, hard n very nearly as hard as a brick......she loves it!
i just use a kettle, a 2 ring electric stove and a flavourfave fan/infrared cooker ( none of this halogen mullarkey!) would cook on an open fire but the wife n council wont let me have an open fire here..... :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE