Well, it's...another crooked knife!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have made another crooked knife. The funny looking handle was a piece of broken, split firewood branch.The shape follows the actual grain of the wood. The blade is a little more rigid than those I have made recently and has a slight curve then sweep up quite sharply. Both the sweep back and up are greater too. When you want to make a flat surface, such as a paddle blade, the tip of the blade does not need to be quite as curved as this one. The curved tip is important: it prevent the tip of the blade digging into the surface.

The shape of the handle just show it does not really matter what the handle is like, as long as it's comfortable to hold, not too small or too big, but the important bit is the angle between the cutting edge and the wrist/forearm, it needs to be more than 90 degrees when the hand is held in a normal, relaxed position. I have only used the knife on some dry hardwood bark so far. I now need to find myself some nice straight (ish) green Ash, cos I want to have a go at making a bow using only an axe and the crooked knife. I can't find any around my place though, well, not accessible anyway!

DSCN0541-1.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

You can see the angle, greater than 90 degrees, between the cutting edge and my arm on this pic.
DSCN0546.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
but the important bit is the angle between the cutting edge and the wrist/forearm, it needs to be more than 90 degrees when the hand is held in a normal, relaxed position.

Totally agree with that, although many, even traditional ones, are often not. Having that greater angle really adds to the comfort of using, imo. Also, very good point about that tip. A lot of curve in the tip will make the knife a decent spoon knife but reduces the smooth planing length, and a slight curve will, as you point out, keep the tip from burrowing in.

I have seen some people argue that traditionally, the "crooked" does not refer to the curve in the blade but in the bent angle of the blade as it comes out of the handle.

Well done!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Very interesting, I quite like the colouring/staining effect;)
what type of wood was it?
Also, are you a fellow left hander?:D
best wishes
R.b.

It's Oak. The colour? Diluted Red Indian acrylic paint, left to dry then sanded back, then 3 coat of some clear Cuprinol stuff. Felt like a good idea at the time!

And yes, I am a leftie!! All the best people are....:D

Maybe we should have a forum to ourselves....Tony? :D The Bushcraft Gospel according to Lefties..:sulkoff:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Having that greater angle really adds to the comfort of using, imo. Also, very good point about that tip. A lot of curve in the tip will make the knife a decent spoon knife but reduces the smooth planing length, and a slight curve will, as you point out, keep the tip from burrowing in

Which is why I gave it that greater angle, Hoodoo. It really is much easier on the wrist. Also, I fitted the blade on the under side of the handle, it's easier to get closer to the piece you're working on. I have made another blade, with a slight curve for most of the length and a slight curve at the tip. The next one is going to look like that, but with a slightly flatter blade, and greater angle.

crooked-knife1.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's Oak. The colour? Diluted Red Indian acrylic paint, left to dry then sanded back, then 3 coat of some clear Cuprinol stuff. Felt like a good idea at the time!

And yes, I am a leftie!! All the best people are....:D

Maybe we should have a forum to ourselves....Tony? :D The Bushcraft Gospel according to Lefties..:sulkoff:

There's an Idea, we could have our own "Leftorium":D
cheers
R.B.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Lovely crook knife JoJo!Slightly reminisent of farrier's hoof knives..You mention getting hold of some ash?I may be able to help if you like.Should be able to get a bow length from it.(its a whole windfall tree!).As for the leftorium,can i join?!as a blacksmith i look at all the tongs i own and i can see which ones i made cos they're back-to-front..If you get what i mean!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'll sign up for the leftie cause!
Great crooked knife. I've just made myself a one as well. My blade is 90 degrees though. I'll see how I get on with it before I make another few with differing blade profiles.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Lovely crook knife JoJo!Slightly reminisent of farrier's hoof knives..You mention getting hold of some ash?I may be able to help if you like.Should be able to get a bow length from it.(its a whole windfall tree!).As for the leftorium,can i join?!as a blacksmith i look at all the tongs i own and i can see which ones i made cos they're back-to-front..If you get what i mean!

Oh, yes, I like! A nice straight (ish) 3/4" diameter 6ft long(ish again!) green bit would do me nicely! Where are you in Norfolk?
I'll sign up for the leftie cause!
Great crooked knife. I've just made myself a one as well. My blade is 90 degrees though. I'll see how I get on with it before I make another few with differing blade profiles.

You'll have to post some pics of it!

Well, us lefties will have to lobby Tony!!! Perhaps we should have a poll on how many are lefties here...Don't know how to, though:eek:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
This ash you wanted..Do you want a cleft piece or a length 'in the round'?From what i understand about bowmaking,a cleft is better..BTW im near Norwich(sort of..)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE