weird plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was walking my dog today and came across a plant I have never seen before. :confused:

It was a straight rigid stem about 8-10in tall and a bunch of red berries on it.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what it was (actually there was 2 together).
the first one had a protruding stem about 2in above the berries and the second shorter one had the berries at the top of the stem.

there was no other plants like anywhere around.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I'd echo that, Lords and Ladies. Shame they're poisonous - they look very tasty...
Anyone know if the berries are eaten by other animals/birds? Seems weird that they're berries nothing can eat...

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Lords and ladies flowers in April through to May, and is a perennial, growing from a tuber underground. In autumn, it produces a cluster of dark orange berries grouped together at the top of a stem.

Wild arum is poisonous and it is better to avoid contact with it. However, in earlier times, the roots were used as a substitute for arrowroot although it has a bitter taste. The roots were more commonly used as a source of starch for collars and ruffs, even though the toxic juice left the poor laundresses’ hands terribly blistered.

LS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jongir said:
I was walking my dog today and came across a plant I have never seen before. :confused:

It was a straight rigid stem about 8-10in tall and a bunch of red berries on it.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what it was (actually there was 2 together).
the first one had a protruding stem about 2in above the berries and the second shorter one had the berries at the top of the stem.

there was no other plants like anywhere around.

I think they have it for sure - here is a Lords and Ladies I photographed last weekend

lordsandladiesnr9.jpg

I hope that confirms it for you?

Red

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ahhh,

I came across this weird looking thing in woods at Lechlade-on-Thames last year and wondered what it was. Thanks guys for solving the mystery.

Matt.

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
falling rain said:
As a child (very small child) I remember thinking that adders ate the berries and that is where they got their poison from. :eek: I was only about 5 or 6 and had been told to leave well alone as they were poisonous. :rolleyes:
Someone posted this link a while back about eating theroots but I don't fancy risking it myself :eek:
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/arum.htm

Hi folks. I posted that a while back and in fact I've been doing quite a lot of work with arumn starch. Gordon Hillman who's working with RM used my quoted method to extract starch earlier in the year and the info. should be in the new book to accompany the series. As with all things about wild foods don't take risks unless you are confident about what you are doing.

MH aka JJ

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jumbalaya said:
Hi folks. I posted that a while back and in fact I've been doing quite a lot of work with arumn starch. Gordon Hillman who's working with RM used my quoted method to extract starch earlier in the year and the info. should be in the new book to accompany the series. As with all things about wild foods don't take risks unless you are confident about what you are doing.

MH aka JJ

Good advice JJ...... You may have heard of this................There's a fish in Japan called Fugu (puffer fish) which can be poisonous if wrongly prepared. It is supposed to be delicious and quite expensive in speciality restaurants. It must be prepared by specially trianed chefs and they taste a piece of the fish in front of the customer who ordered it to show the chef is confident he has prepared it correctly. I think (not sure) the poison comes from the reproductive organs of the fish and is lethal. There are a number of people who die each year in Japan from having a go at preparing the fish themselves. I've caught these fish from the shore in Japan and certainly was NO WAY going to have a go at cooking it. As my recent 'chicken of the woods' thread demonstrates I'm a bit of a wimp at trying anything unless 100% sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE