Weird log splitter....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I have never used one but looking at the video on the link I wouldn't believe it has up to 10 tonnes of splitting force as it says it has in the description, my tractor mounted splitter only has 12 tonnes of force

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Those work rather well and are safer than an an axe our local Scout campsite had one and it was great for the smaller kids. The one I have used would go through some decent size stuff the kids would have competitions who split the biggets piece in one go.

Most I am sure would be happier using a maul.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I saw a similar thing last year visiting a National Trust property with the Scouts.

Easy to use and safer than an axe for some...
HebdenHey-May2011017.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Friend in Alaska uses one, very easy to use and very effective. Would be great for a fixed camp, lot safer than axes.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
How about a wood splitting grenade.....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-wood-grenade-log-splitter/51334;jsessionId=SD17Q2SG4CqLHLmQMKc7KvylY8yyQB1yX2GC5QfkwvsP3QQFG0TX!335842405!1350439460534?cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CKWRsYPEjLMCFTMRtAodAmYAsw

I've used one of those and they seem to be abit simpler than the previous contraption?? maybe not so good at really BIG and long bits of tree.

Although I have given up and gone back to a maul, hatchet and saw - It's just more fun :)

However for younger people could be safer than sharp stuff.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've used them - don't rate them. They can't handle big stuff or things like poplar with gnarly grain.

Buy the right tools and learn to use them is my advice

Maul, axe, sledgehammer 4x 10" straight wedges. You can probably get most of that set for the same price and it will handle anything the world can throw

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not designed to handle big stuff though Red? Seem popular in the States, as said a mate in Alaska uses one but doubt he's splitting big chunks of Oak. Heavy duty stuff needs a heavy duty splitter. This one for a typical home user or at a group camp would be ideal. The safety aspect really is important and don't forget the cost, its a low cost and safe option for people lacking axe skills.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Never used one, but saw on in a demo at the Royal Welsh Show this year, and they seemed to work unbelievably well.They were possibly selective with the logs they used, straight grained & knot free. The logs were 10-12" long. Personally I would prefer to stick to my axe & maul.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not designed to handle big stuff though Red? Seem popular in the States, as said a mate in Alaska uses one but doubt he's splitting big chunks of Oak. Heavy duty stuff needs a heavy duty splitter. This one for a typical home user or at a group camp would be ideal. The safety aspect really is important and don't forget the cost, its a low cost and safe option for people lacking axe skills.

We can disagree Richard - thats okay. I don't think its cheap at all - £52? I'd rather buy a cheap maul and a couple of steel wedges - much more flexible and I would have change. I really can't see why anyone can't learn to use an axe or maul safely. If safety is a real concern just use wedges and a sledgehammer - I take down 30"+ rounds with that - it hard work but it splits stuff even my 7 ton hydraulic splitter wont.

As I say, if people like them, great, have at it. I don't - based on experience of most types of log splitters from tractor mounted beasts on downwards. There is a place for a non manual splitter - but thats where electrical or petrol hydraulics come in.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think hydraulic force and splitting force are getting confused here. Or maybe I am.

10 tonnes of splitting force is not all that great is it?

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
How about a wood splitting grenade.....

I've used one of those and they seem to be abit simpler than the previous contraption?? maybe not so good at really BIG and long bits of tree.

Although I have given up and gone back to a maul, hatchet and saw - It's just more fun :)

However for younger people could be safer than sharp stuff.

I don't like grenades at all. They require considerably more force to drive in than a wedge and you have no control on how the round splits. I used one once, never again.

They may have application splitting smaller less demanding rounds 4 ways simultaneously, but I prefer to use an axe for those kind of tasks.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I agree with Red for most people a maul and wedges are better.

But for an 8 year old Cub Scout who is not allowed by SA rules to use an axe anyway this is a great tool as they can split wood with ease and safety while being too small to wield a maul.

I would use an axe maul wedges etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lars Monsen finds one in a cabin in one of his vids, spends half an hour trying to split one log and then sacks it and reaches for his axe instead.

They look more useful for splitting down kindling than decent sized logs

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Everyone goes on about safety which I understand is important when using and axe, but my 3 brothers and I have all been using axes to split wood since we were small. We were shown how to use them properly none of us have every cut our selves with an axe. We have cut ourselves with plenty of knives but never an axe.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Agreed. I've been chopping wood since about the age of ten and never hurt myself with an axe. Been hit by flying pieces of wood a few times, but no lasting damage.

It's not rocket science. Have a tidy work area, a sharp axe, plant yourself well, keep your eye on the target through the entire swing, and anticipate deflections. My folks did insist I wear steelies though.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Looks like a log splitting version of a slide hammer, no idea about it for logs but slide hammers are a beast of a tool for pulling bearings and getting dents out of bodywork.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE