Weird Goldfinch food

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We grew a load of teasels this year as I do love goldfinches - they go nuts for the stuff. Anyway, that's not the reason for the post. We have found something else that seems to be like crack cocaine for goldfinches - lemon balm seeds :confused:. We have a huge lemon balm bush (3' high and the same in diameter) that we allowed to flower and go to seed this year. This morning - there were at least fifteen goldfinches perched on the dried flower heads pecking out the seeds.

No reason for the post other than its a new one on me and worth trying if you want a finch attractant - more useful to humans than teasel as well!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You should see the sparrows fighting over the Forget me not seeds too :)

Lemon balm is a blooming pest the way it seeds so prolifically; you'll not get rid of it now.
Lovely plant, totally non harmful and the insects and birds love it, but it does rather take over, and it's seeds root happily in every nook and cranny of the slabs. Himself moans about me letting too many of them live; you've just given me a good reason to encourage them :D

cheers,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Aren't they just the most exotic little bird, though; every time I see one I'm in the rain forest. Almost as if they took a wrong turn millenia ago, and didn't bother trying to find the way back.

Probably all the Teasel, Lemon Balm and Niger Seed, now I think of it :) .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah not at all - just carry one with me in nice places and have one in the cottage - I do love goldfinches so snap them when I see one - they are shy little beggars though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE