Weh heyyyyy I have Sap!! (no laughing)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ok after various forays into the woods and testing for sap I today visited a really old wood very local to me. I found various trees and did take a lot of Photos ( need to sort out a photo bucket type thing) so will post these later as i have some questions etc.

But I made an incision into a Birch tree about 18 inchs up form the base and pushed the Knife in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and whoosh sap. I thought it tasted a bit like coconut milk even swmbo tasted it . Ok I was surprised at the level of flow it really did pump out and now im worried it could cause damage so I am going back tomorrow. This may sound silly as its the first time i have tried this but I felt I had to plug it to stop it flowing so I plastered some clay mud over the cut.

anyway hopefully tomorrow I can decant some into a platy bottle through and old drinking tube thats the plan anyway, I will let you know how I get on.

Any little tips will be welcome.

cheers folks

Andy:D :D :D :D :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you just lifted the bark Andy you can just push it back down with your thumb and it will seal itself eventually, if you've taken a chunk out there's not much you can do. You haven't taken a chunk out have you :D

Not sure about the clay, I would tend to think it might actually cause more harm than good what with adding bacterias etc ?

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No, no chunks taken out Rich, just a nice little cut. Not thought about bacteria I was just gobsmacked at the amount that flowed I will administer some TLC tomorrow. Must admit though I was pretty chuffed.Once I have filled the bottle tomorrow I will plug the hole and it should be ok after that I take it? should you flush the peg of with the trunk or does that not matter.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I might be wrong about the clay Andy, it might actually be the best thing for it ?

I tend to cut the plug off flush just because it looks neater but it also gives the tree chance to heal itself by growing over the scare again.

What are you collecting it in ? I used sawn off pop bottle on Sunday and got around 500ml in the morning. I've drunk most of it already but I want to do something with it next time, not sure what though.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Im Going to use a drinks bladder and the tube that came with it form an old cheapo rucksack someone gave me a while ago. I seem to remember someone on here doing something similar. I agree cutting flush thats the way im gonna go too.

I heard sap beer or wine is good. I dont know about you but as I have only just taken an interest in this I struggle to indentify some of the trees without their leafage etc even looking below in the leaf litter leaves me none the wiser. I want to try a Sycamore as i read as its part of the maple family the say should reduce down to a nice syrup.

Im thinking pancakes, bacon, mmmmmmmmmmmm

just need to identify the bloomins tree first.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Look for the little helicopter seed pods on the floor, the leaves are broad and fingered and everything underneath is generally sticky from the sap.

I used to park my car under two huge 80ft + beasts and it used to get in a right mess.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Im Going to use a drinks bladder and the tube that came with it form an old cheapo rucksack someone gave me a while ago. I seem to remember someone on here doing something similar. I agree cutting flush thats the way im gonna go too.

I heard sap beer or wine is good. I dont know about you but as I have only just taken an interest in this I struggle to indentify some of the trees without their leafage etc even looking below in the leaf litter leaves me none the wiser. I want to try a Sycamore as i read as its part of the maple family the say should reduce down to a nice syrup.

Im thinking pancakes, bacon, mmmmmmmmmmmm

just need to identify the bloomins tree first.

Andy

Hope this helps:

http://www.2020site.org/trees/sycamore.html

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden

Yep, spring in Sweden also. Was out today in a small forest area and picked up little sap for the first time actually. Nice taste!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE