Weekend in Mammoth Cave National Park.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I spent the weekend camping in Mammoth Cave National Park with a few friends. I'm not too sure how familiar a lot of you guys may be with Mammoth Cave, but it is the longest known cave in the world. http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm. We did a 2 night/3 day trip and had a good time catching up and practicing up a few things. We also hiked out for a few hours on Saturday and drove over for a cave tour which was pretty nice since it's probably been 15 years since I last went into the caves. Below are a few pictures from the trip.

IMG_0511.jpg

My home for the weekend.
IMG_0448.jpg

One of the views from our camp
IMG_0450.jpg

Spotted this guy not too far from our camp.
IMG_0456.jpg

Quite a few signs of beavers in the area.
IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Tested out a removable bail I made for my metal Nalgene bottle
IMG_0506.jpg

We were sitting around discussing how we wished that we had brought some fishing gear and see what all was in the lake when one of the guys had a pretty clever idea to cut a key ring in two and bend it with a multi-tool, and use it as a fishing hook. It actually worked quite well to my surprise and we ended up catching 5 fish in about an hours time. We didn't catch anything big enough to really eat, but it was a neat little experiment. The hook didn't really work like a traditional hook in the sense of the fish biting it and snagging them. They would bite this hook and as soon as you felt the bite, you would have to jerk the line and it would jerk the fish onto shore where it immediately fell off the homemade hook.
IMG_0476.jpg

2 of the 5 fish that we caught
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_04522.jpg

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Thanks. It was a great time with a few friends. Plus, I've been so busy this year that this was the first real camp out that I've been on, so it was nice to to be able to get away from things to relax and practice up on a few things.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Yes, it was alive. It appeared to have just eaten something and was pretty lethargic. Not being snake experts, at first we thought that it may be a copperhead, but then figured that it was a non-poisonous water snake that just looks similar to a copperhead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE