webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Me neither ...

1) I'm not a soldier.
2) It looks some sort of aggresive ... and I think it's not in your favour when you ask permission to practice buscraft on one's land ...
3) I don't see the point of using webbing over a (day)rucksack. The latter is much more comfortabler IMHO ...
Think in terms of:
- Wearing it
- Quantity of gear / rations etc.
- Acces
- etc.

Hope this helped!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have a webbing too, but don't use it cause would look like a soldier wannabe. :roll: I'm lucky not to need permission, so that matter won't be a problem. Even if I were to use one, I wouldn't cause it's quite uncomfortable, IMO. :roll: :)

hootchi

Settler
I have webbing but i dont use it because, as before, it doesn't look right. I find all the different compartments too fiddly, i can never remember where i put my stuff in it. I think that it is comfortable enough but my respirator pouch is much better. Maybe you will grow into it TheViking.

jakunen

Native
Yeah, I've still got a load of '58 and ALICE.

While I do find it quite practical and very comfortable, it does seem to be frowned on as people suspect you of beloning to a weird/terrorist group, and as mentioned - now which pouch did I put my mars bar in???:?:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Apart from the comfort thing and not being able to find Mars Bars, the main reason for not wearing webbing seems to be not wanting to look like a soldier/terrorist (b******d if anyone knows the difference nowadays!).
That said, why do we all buy ex-army gear and dress likewise?
Do I detect ambivalnece?
Oh I know, we like to blend in.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The problem with webbing is its a item designed for war, it is something designed to allow the soldier to carry grenades and ammunition into battle - combat clothing (for those who wear it) is worn in peace and war by our brave lads and lassies and can be found on building sites and farms too - so the difference in the publics mind is easily understood.

Having said that the usefulness of a belt pouch shouldn't be underestimated and I would direct your attention to the thread on possible pouches, what could be better for a bushcrafter than a discreet leather pouch which can hold his nik-nakes (not the crisps) - it is asphetically pleasing, it looks the part and has no obvious military over tones - bushcraft webbing! :nana:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Gary said:
The problem with webbing is its a item designed for war, it is something designed to allow the soldier to carry grenades and ammunition into battle - combat clothing (for those who wear it) is worn in peace and war by our brave lads and lassies and can be found on building sites and farms too - so the difference in the publics mind is easily understood.

Having said that the usefulness of a belt pouch shouldn't be underestimated and I would direct your attention to the thread on possible pouches, what could be better for a bushcrafter than a discreet leather pouch which can hold his nik-nakes (not the crisps) - it is asphetically pleasing, it looks the part and has no obvious military over tones - bushcraft webbing! :nana:
i dont think your nik-naks would be to astheticaly pleasing in a leather pouch Gary :shock: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: it would be descreet though :rolmao: :rolmao: :nana:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I think my webbing is pretty useful for short little trips into the woods. I prefer it to a daysack as it sits lower on the body and doesn't catch on overhanging branches, or slide over your head when you bend right over like some packs do...

I agree with the comments about soldier-wannabe but as I've only got black webbing and added a few reflective scotchbrite tabs to it I dont think it looks too far from civvy. As for the "where's my mars bar?" issue, I segment kit into purpose, eg cooking and food in one pouch, firelighting and PSK in a double-ammo pouch, and water bottle in, err, water-bottle pouch.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've got a fishing waistcoat, more pockets than I know what to do with including one across the back which appears to be designed for hiding a whole rabbit under your coat. The larger outside pockets are also useful for storing mushrooms and live crayfish.

Being a techi I also find it handy at work for loosing spanners, pipettes, rad badges and manuals in.

Realgar

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I like webbing, I've been wearing it for work for 13 years now, I know where everything is in every pouch, but as said before it's designed to carry what I need to do a specific military task (ammo and enough kit to live for at least 24 hrs). I don't carry it when I'm not at work, I carry a day sack and possibles pouch, seems to give me enough flexability. Webbing is good for the job it's designed for, but each to there own.

Brian
(Guess what I do?)

M

Metala Cabinet

Belt plus waterbottle pouch is a good combo for carrying your nails when roofing. Not really bushcrafty but a handy tip I thought.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've been using/experimenting with webbing and pouch systems since around 1986 when i left school!

my reasoning because it's tough, you always know where everything is, and it's comfortable.
this is the list of stuff i've bought and tried:

WW2 ammo pouches.
british 72" pattern webbing (v rare now!)
british 58" pattern used in and out of the army i.e. CEFO and CEMO.
US ALICE webbing
DPM COP vest
South african vest (brown nylon)
PLCE Webbing (including bergen and side pouches)
PLCE Chest webbing
a US SWAT type vest((black) simular to PlCE vest)
my copy of an SAS belt order as seen in Combat and survival Magazine.

:yikes: :shock: why so many?

because my kit has changed along the way.

in the last couple of years my attitudes have changed alot! even since joining this forum!

my current kit is vastly different it is:

one belt pouch about ammo pouch sized, and a waterbottle pouch (PLCE type) that's about it! neither pouch looks like army issue kit and i would happily wear the smaller one to do my shopping, it isn't overtly obvious, it sort of looks more like a camera pouch.
(it's actually an ARKTIS Ammo pouch bought for £2.99!)

my attitude now is:
yes, webbing is handy, strong, well designed etc etc, but however you look at it, it is very, very, obviously a military item designed to hold essential items for war!
that's not what i'm about, and never have been, (ok, barring military service but i wanted to be a medic).

ideally we could all wear exactly what we want, but realisticly anywhere but right out in the sticks webbing to joe public says (especially in the current political world) :
survivalist, soldier wanabe, possible threat, mis-understood, wierd, and simular.
frequently complete strangers have said things like:
"we're in the army now",
"do you want to be in the army",
or "you think you're in the army"
i used to ignore the comments, but what image did i put across?

after many comments like that i opted to use the webbing after dark, which of course must have only looked worse, a man walking round looking like a soldier at night in the woods/country would worry me!

for years i have been on the other side for webbing, i can still see it's usefulness, but even in the woods image is a factor even if we don't want it to be!

after spending time with bushcraft as a hobby/lifestyle, i have decided to try to represent "bushcraft" in a more aproachable way.

Hopefully now any person can walk up to me without any negative preconcived incorrect ideas about me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE