Web-tex boots for Arctic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

I'm getting my kit together for a trip to Sweden this winter and am considering what boots to take.

The advice on the kit list is for Lunhags or army surplus boots. I liked the idea of Goretex and thinsulate lining and was planning to go a size bigger than usual for extra socks.

These Web-tex boots caught my eye:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2599.html

Does anyone have any experience of these boots?

If anyone has further ideas on what I might look at (needs to go up to a 13) I'd be interested.

Thanks

Barry

A

Alfa

Where in Sweden will you be traveling to? As Sweden is a large country temperatures can vary, as I'm sure you'll know.
What are your plans there? Almost any boot can be used with snowshoes, but if you plan on skiing the Lundhags Husky Ski or 75 might be a better choice, as it has a felt liner and as the name suggests can be used with cable or 75mm bindings. If the funds allow it, as they are expensive.
In cold weather, I think, you can not go wrong with a Sorrel type boot, brandname or surplus ( the white Mickey Mouse boots).
Just my 2 cents.
I'm sure our northern friends on the forum will be more than able to help you.
Enjoy your trip, have fun and be safe.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a pair of these boots and having spent 5 winters in Norway with the Army I personally wouldn't use these boots.
I would spend the extra cash and buy the Lundhags!

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Greg, thanks. That's what I needed to hear. Can you tell me wh they were'nt up to it? - just out of interest.

Looks like the Lunhags....

Barry

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't know about their boots but as a general rule avoid webtex like the plague. most of there products are poorly made copies, you can actualy get the real thing cheeper in many cases!:eek:
im not sure if they still is but there was loads of the genuine german army mountain boot on ebay cheep.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Get a pair of Altberg Norway boots - excellent insulation, grip and waterproof to a rediculous degree. They'll also probably be able to supply size 13s with ease.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just don't think they are a very good boot, they have tried to copy the Lowa Combat boot and have failed dramatically!
I agree the Alberg boots would be a good choice.

Canadian Guy

Sep 29, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you are going to be in temps of -10 or below then Goretex is not needed and in fact can be detrimental as it does not allow your boots to "breathe" once you get below 0ish. As Alfa said you are far better off using a "Mukluk" type boot such as Sorel makes. Goretex in the Arctic is a huge mistake and anything Goretex should just be left at home if going there for a number of reasons:

- It doesn't allow moisture to escape in cold temps thus you are essentially wearing a plastic bag on your feet/body which keeps in moisture and at -10 or below this is dangerous, non-Goretex clothing/boots have enough moisture buildup problems as it is!
- There is no liquid water in dry cold so why do you even need Goretex, if you fall through ice Goretex is not going to be of much help,
- Windproofing can be accomplished with better breathable fabrics (eg) Pertex,

Been in the Canadian Arctic and Northern parts of Canada enough in extreme cold and I strongly urge you and others to leave the Gortex at home, hope this helps.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If you plan to be outdoors in snow, get good skiing boots (lundhags does NOT make good skiing boots) and good skis (=åsnes rago with 75 mm bindings).

As others have said, gore-tex are not any good in cold temps (I would say that it's not good at all in a boot).

I do not like mukluk type boots if I plan to walk (=very little snow so no skiing) a lot, but when riding on snow mobile, they are really ace.

I too can warmly recommend lundhags for all year use.

Where and when are you going?

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Big Swede, I'm off to the Kalix river north of Kiruna (I think) with woodlore for their arctic experience.

Today I placed an order for the altberg Norway boots as reccomended above. they looked like a good option and they were very helpful when I called for advice. Hopefully they fit... if not I can send them back and try the Lundhag option.

Any more advice always welcome!

I might do a show and tell on my kit before I go if people are interested and then a write up on the experience when I get back.

Barry

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
If you are going to be in temps of -10 or below then Goretex is not needed and in fact can be detrimental as it does not allow your boots to "breathe" once you get below 0ish. As Alfa said you are far better off using a "Mukluk" type boot such as Sorel makes. Goretex in the Arctic is a huge mistake and anything Goretex should just be left at home if going there for a number of reasons:

- It doesn't allow moisture to escape in cold temps thus you are essentially wearing a plastic bag on your feet/body which keeps in moisture and at -10 or below this is dangerous, non-Goretex clothing/boots have enough moisture buildup problems as it is!
- There is no liquid water in dry cold so why do you even need Goretex, if you fall through ice Goretex is not going to be of much help,
- Windproofing can be accomplished with better breathable fabrics (eg) Pertex,

Been in the Canadian Arctic and Northern parts of Canada enough in extreme cold and I strongly urge you and others to leave the Gortex at home, hope this helps.

Hi - does not the Altberg Norway boots have a goretex stylee membrane?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE