weather on the web?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but can anyone recomend me a good weather forecast website? i always used to use the red button on the BBC but no longer have a telly. i've had a look at the met office website, and that seams pretty good, but i was just wondering what other folk use.

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The last one is also important for safety reasons in Scotland.

I hope that helps. BBC website has gone pictorial so is not too good. The met office is good generally. Weather channel (6th one down) is also good. Go on there and type the name of the pace you want the foreast to in the search box. Then you get several options including a lot in USA and Canada. Just select the one you want probably the UK version of the town or village. Then on the forecast page you can even get a 10 day forecast summary. Everytime you go back to the site if cookie enabled you get the last three searches shown at the top of the page. Cool. It is also kind of good accuracy too. Nothings 100% but even the 10 day seems to play out to within a day at the last of the 10 days. SO if you are away for 2 weeks the weather on the 10th day in the forecast could be a day earliy or late. Pretty good really.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Used to use metcheck. they used to have a mountain forecast for the mountainareas where ohyu could pick prominent hills such as Scafell Pike, Bowfell and Hellvellyn then pick the forecast for a particular height. That way you could watch the temp and weather for the next 24 hours at that height. It does actually vary not jsut with temp but also cloud.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Metcheck's pretty good but I more often use http://uk.weather.com/ now - seems to be quite good. Meteox is good for Sat images and an overview of whats coming at us from where. I also use a toolbar gizmo from Accuweather.com which is handy and allows you to customise locality and how much info. you want shown.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thats the weather channel. Its an american one IIRC but it operates around the world.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
just tried that accuweather.com it actuallygives the forcast for my village cwwmcarn regards dave

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
For the UK I use the Met. Office site, but I find you need to take the written forecasts with a pinch of salt. If you're used to looking at pressure charts and such there's plenty of information there to give you a good picture. The rainfall radar maps are very useful, especially for short range forecasts (a few hours). From those you can get a much better idea of what precipitation to expect locally, and when, than you can from the "rain at first, brighter later" style of the written word. I'll quite often time a cycle ride to avoid nasty-looking things on the radar.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Metcheck's pretty good but I more often use http://uk.weather.com/ now - seems to be quite good. Meteox is good for Sat images and an overview of whats coming at us from where. I also use a toolbar gizmo from Accuweather.com which is handy and allows you to customise locality and how much info. you want shown.

I kept a log of uk.weather.com's 10 day forecasts a month or so ago, taking the forecast at 12 noon for 10 days. There wasn't a single day that had the same forecast 2 days running over the 10 day period. It looked like they had a range of possibilities for the period and just selected them at random.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for all the replies on this folks, most helpfull.

i think that i shall be using the met office site mainly, it gives a really good range of data and the ability to flick between different overlays should really help me to better understand the weather (a subject that's always fascinated and baffled me in equal measure).

cheers

stuart

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I kept a log of uk.weather.com's 10 day forecasts a month or so ago, taking the forecast at 12 noon for 10 days. There wasn't a single day that had the same forecast 2 days running over the 10 day period. It looked like they had a range of possibilities for the period and just selected them at random.

I wouldn't rely too much on any sites forecasts for more than a few days. In the time I've used them they have been at least as accurate as the others I've looked at - not that it takes much. One of the worst, not necessarily online, is the met office - they could improve their accuracy sometimes just by looking out of the window! :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...should really help me to better understand the weather (a subject that's always fascinated and baffled me in equal measure).

There are probably dozens of Websites which will give you a good grasp of the weather basics. In the UK we're blessed with a slightly unusual set of weather-producing factors (things like being surrounded by water, most of which is to the west of us:)). This sometimes makes forecasts challenging, so it's probably best to stick to relatively local sites as they will tend to have more 'local knowledge'. I'm no great authority but I learned a lot about the weather on sailing courses and from books intended for people sailing UK coastal waters. You'd be very welcome to borrow(*) one or two if I can find them, but they're all in crates somewhere in France at the moment so don't hold your breath.

* I know, I know. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE