Weather in Canada in early March ?...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm hopefully off to Canada in March (Edmonton, Alberta area) to attend a course with Mors Kochanski :D

Could any of our Canadian members (or anyone else for that matter) advise me on what weather conditions to expect at that time of year so I can start sorting my kit and clothing out?

:thanks:

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I went up through Maine USA into Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario) for a month during Nov/Dec.
I had packed anticipating the Arctic but half the time could have got away with a T-shirt!
Two weeks after returning home all the areas I had visited were experiencing their worst freak storms for 15 years with heavy snows and power cuts.
So - what to pack?
Christ knows...

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I live in the northeastern US, and have a few friends up that way. Carry for the cold; better to be prpared for that. We have ha snow where I live as late as late April; those weather patterns come down from Alberta (an Alberta Clipper its called).

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The link below gives you March 08 measurements can be changed to daily or weekly.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/CYEG/2008/3/1/MonthlyHistory.html

If you scroll down there is a calendar with all the details will give you a idea of what to expect.
Useful link there - Thanks!

So - what to pack?
Christ knows...
I was afraid you'd say that :eek:

I live in the northeastern US, and have a few friends up that way. Carry for the cold; better to be prpared for that. We have ha snow where I live as late as late April; those weather patterns come down from Alberta (an Alberta Clipper its called).
The question is how cold?.. from the link posted by Angus Og it could be anywhere between plus 6 and minus 20... Guess I'll have to pack for everything from rain to arctic conditions.... hope the baggage limit on the plane is big enough :rolleyes:

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
A 0*F bag would work fine. Then, its a matter of layering; waterproofs, insulation, wicking. The only other jacket I would suggest is a nice warm belayers jackets (puffy jacket), for when inactive at night.
I spent a week in the white mountains with nothing more than that for clothing (plus a tent), and did fine. Just plan for winter weather, and layer your clothing well, and you will be fine.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
You have the unique experience of experiencing spring weather in Alberta. Although it's a shoulder season, it really can be -30C or +10C....with no snowfall, or 2 feet of snow....it can be blustery or calm....it might melt all day long and freeze solid at night.

Oldsoldier is correct, layering is what you need. I always find that footwear choices are difficult. The snow can be wet, or it can be dry.

Does Karamat ("mors' team") offer any advice for you? I'm curious how they would categorize the weather. How about this link from their site.... http://www.karamat.com/PDF%20Files/dressing001.pdf

D

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've been in Edmonton in March a number of times, and like everyone else has said, it varies a lot. I've been comfortable in light sweaters some years when another year requires a full parka.

And of course, the weather is getting weirder....

Bring clothes for anything from cold to mild and rest easy. Canada is always beautiful, and the spring is the great fun because things change so much from week to week.

Have fun!

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
As someone else mentioned.....Boots.
You can warm up or cool off easy enough but cold or wet feet (even worse, both) will kill a trip.
Gortex socks and boots with a removable liner work best for me.
I spend a lot of time outside here. We get a lot of snow here and two days ago it was -24F.
Still had dry warm feet.
For what MHO is worth. :rolleyes:
Jon R

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE