waxing the unwaxed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Yeah me too - Endicott's do an old British 60 patt combat jacket for a bargain which I think would be very suitable for this type of experiment. Not sure about trousers though - can you even buy waxed trousers commercially? Never seen 'em and assume they wouldn't be too comfortable? I could be totally wrong here though :eek:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I looked at those 60patt jackets wanted one for years but they dont have my size, they are meant to be one of the best jackets the British army was ever issued(with regards to build quality materials used etc) they would work great as its similar to the dutch one i did and thats worked a treat.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Cheers for the tip; I really liked the look of them and for just over 20 notes for supergrade standard you can't really go wrong. Add on a tenner for the Barbour wax dressing and you could be looking at a DIY top trump waxed jacket for under £35 - I'm sorely tempted although I know I don't need another jacket. I just need it :D

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
No should be fine Dan, but don't skimp get the proper barbour thornproof dressing and follow the instructions on the tin. You'll have a jacket that will laugh at the worst of british weather, that and a wide brimmed hat and you'll be the driest bloke on the hill:D

Ahh, the wide brimmed hat...

Went to a beer festival last October, how my brother in law laughed at my Tilley TL4 hat at the start of the day...... How I laughed (quietly) later in the day, when it poured down in Broughton, and we were waiting for the bus.

Didn't have a waxed jacket, had a Rohan Mountain Pass (their version of Gore-Tex, works very well).

S

skoper

Ihave an m65 combat jacket , waxed but it has to be an original,, and not the copy,,its a timely process, but use the good stuff, Barbour wax, you may need two tins,, take your time and heat the waxy /greasy mixture slowly,, and wipe it on with a cloth,, spreading it as best you can,,when done,, it smells a bit too, /maybe outside on a nice day,s best,,, then put it in a pillowcase,, this is important //PILLOWCASE PILLOWCASE// place the waxed jacket inside the pillowcase and put it in the dryer mediumish heat for ten mins,, check then repeat,, as the pillowcase stops any access clinging to the inside of the dryer,,,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE