Waxed fabrics - cotton alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Evening all, I'm planning on making my own waxed fabric and was wondering if anybody knows how heavy duty linen or hemp canvas would stand up to treatment with linseed oil and beeswax?. The fabrics will be used to make a couple of stool tops, a pair of chaps and maybe even a large tarp.
I've already got a bit of cotton canvas to play with but was curious as to how native fibres might react to traditional waterproofing techniques. A quick google comes up with a bit about waxed linen cloth being used like cling film but little about heavier grade materials..

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
If you want waxed fabrics to be rainproof, then the key factor is the tightness of the weave. Hold the fabric up to a strong light & if you see holes between the threads then no amount of gunk will render that fabric rainproof.
Also an oil/wax dressing wouldn't be the best thing for anything you're going to be sitting on.
If by "native fibres" you mean grown in the UK, it may be difficult to ascertain the origin of the raw materials, even if the finished fabric is labelled as made in the UK.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hemp canvas is the real deal - "canvas" comes from " cannabis" - and the original Levis were made from hemp canvas tent fabric. Tarpaulin was originally tarred hemp canvas, so oiling hemp should work fine :)

Reactions: Redhand Jack

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
@Lean'n'mean I hadn't thought of hot bottoms melting the wax, maybe a waxed version for winter and a plain version for summer use is the way to go
By native fibres I just ment anything but cotton - flax and hemp realistically but I'm sure nettles, brambles and a whole host of other plants could be worked to make a waterproofable fabric if money were no option.

@John Fenna I hadn't considered the etymology of canvas, although I may have pointed out that Hemel Hempstead got it's name from hemp farming. I was planning to add a splash of pine tar to my wax mix anyway but I feel a damn sight more confident with that little historical nugget, cheers!.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
@Lean'n'mean I hadn't thought of hot bottoms melting the wax, maybe a waxed version for winter and a plain version for summer use is the way to go
By native fibres I just ment anything but cotton - flax and hemp realistically but I'm sure nettles, brambles and a whole host of other plants could be worked to make a waterproofable fabric if money were no option.

@John Fenna I hadn't considered the etymology of canvas, although I may have pointed out that Hemel Hempstead got it's name from hemp farming. I was planning to add a splash of pine tar to my wax mix anyway but I feel a damn sight more confident with that little historical nugget, cheers!.
Southampton came from South Hemp Town,as hemp was imported there to make ships rigging and sails.
Regards
Ray.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I personally wouldn't use linseed oil in a waxing mix - certainly not boiled linseed which contains some very nasty chemicals. Even raw linseed on rags can combust. I use mineral oil, but a different vegetable oil e.g. sunflower would be okay. Wax won't melt from body heat

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Evening all, I'm planning on making my own waxed fabric and was wondering if anybody knows how heavy duty linen or hemp canvas would stand up to treatment with linseed oil and beeswax?. The fabrics will be used to make a couple of stool tops, a pair of chaps and maybe even a large tarp.
I've already got a bit of cotton canvas to play with but was curious as to how native fibres might react to traditional waterproofing techniques. A quick google comes up with a bit about waxed linen cloth being used like cling film but little about heavier grade materials..
Be careful you don't use any of the recipes for making beeswax wraps (to replace cling film). They're really popular at the moment and are meant to mould and stick to itself with the heat from your hands and some recipes are purposefully made quite sticky.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think Sara is right you are taking about 2 different processes. There is waxing for food use and for waterproofing. Also look up how to do it because there lots of comments about how dangerous the second one is. As was mentioned it can self-combust so very flammable.
You might also look at Oil finishes and painted cloth. There is stuff on youtube from re-enactors.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Might I recommend Stockholm Tar as an alternative to linseed oil? It's been use for a thousand years to proof tarps and leather. Mikko Snellman on Youtube, shows how to make it if you don't want to buy a can of "hoof dressing" at the local hardware store. I would also point to his "Russian Oil" as an alternative if you have birch trees local to you. I don't know how well it'd do for cloth, but it can't hurt to try.

Making Russian Oil

Stockholm Tar

Personally, I've never been able to stop mold and mildew from growing on anything I've coated with linseed oil. I always thought it was me, but a friend in Australia reported the same results on his woodwork.

Pine Tar, aka Stockholm Tar, is tried and true, used by sailors around the region to help stave off the rain. While it's just as flammable as linseed oil, it has natural anti-bacterial stuff in it that prohibits nasty things from growing. I have no doubt that when mixed with a wax it would serve well as a rain coat.

As others have noted, tightness of the weave is critical. I've had good luck making tarps from painter's drop cloths. While the weave is light, and you can see daylight through them, I discovered that putting the fresh canvas through the washing cycle on high heat does wonders to shrink it all up tight. Plus, it gets rid of any coatings that might have been applied at the manufacturer's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE