Wax Jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Does anyone here have any experience dealing with an on-line firm called "British Wax Jackets?" They appear to have very good prices for the product, relative to other makers of similar products.

For that matter, does anyone here have any experience with actually owning a waxed jacket, either British or American, although the only American one I know of is Filson. Filson is expensive but less than Barbour, I believe the other brand is, although the latter is actually more widely available around here (Virginia, USA). Filson is styled more like traditional American hunting coats and work jackets. I have come close to buying one but the feel of wax has put me off, in addition to the cost. Of all outdoor type garments I've used in the last 40 years the most perfect has been a British combat smock of the '95 pattern (I think it is), the one with the full front zip, no velcro on the front and not ripstop. But it is hardly rainproof and barely sprinkle proof. But they wear well over heavy sweaters and heavy wool shirts. I just wonder if the cost of a wax jacket is worth it?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
These jackets are fully waterproof and very robust,they last for years if looked after properly.
The downside is that they have to be rewaxed every year and are not "breathable",if you are working or walking fast then the sweat can't escape and you can become quite damp.If you don't run hot like me you might have no problems.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I like them, but they are only suited for a particular kind of task; where you're standing relatively still or just gently walking for long periods but want to stay warm and completely dry, like game shooting, shepherding or I suppose walking the dog through the fields. They are tough enough that midges can't bite through them too, which I think is a deliberate design feature!

You will pay a premium for Barbour because it's an old fashioned established brand like Holland & Holland, Aigle, Duluth etc - Aspirational Marketing and all that guff. However, I've worn ones well over 20 years old that still keep you dry and warm so keep it in good nick and you'll easily get your money's worth.

Old ones begin to smell a bit of dog though - depends if you like that kind of thing!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've got a Barbour Beaufort jacket, and love it. And not just because I can pretend I own a country mansion and I'm just off out with my dogs to shoot some pheasants ;)

I agree with the above that it's not the best kind of jacket for strenuous exercise, and they're not the lightest. But they're perfect for pootling, short walks and if you're outdoors lots as they're water- and wind-proof. I also love their smell, but others hate it.

It also has features I really like, like soft-lined hand pockets, and the game pocket (which is a huge pocket that goes along the back of the jacket) as it holds books, papers and "stuff" so easily.

But still, if I'm out for a walk I'll take my Goretex.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've got an Aussie Drizabone riding coat - like the others have said, it's water / windproof and hardwearing, but very heavy and very not-breathable. Seriously prone to internal condensation. I guess it would be great if you were spending all day in the saddle, but not for walking or working in.

Reminds me, I really need to reproof it before winter...

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
In spite of raving about combat smocks, the one jacket I actually use most often, if necessary, for outings when camping or doing a long walk, is a simple, unlined cotton jacket that I've had for twenty years or so. It is Swedish, I think. I don't have it with me but the label has one of those curled up foxes. The pockets are nice and it fits over everything I need to wear when it is cold (barely, now). I tend to save it for outings now.

It is merely "windproof." I have tried coating it with spray-on silicone or something like that from a can but the results have not been particularly noteworthy. But I usually wear a plain old (everything I have is old) poncho if it is that wet.

Have you noticed how there is a lot of Swedish stuff mentioned on this forum?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm not a lover of waxed jackets myself. I've had several and none of them have been totally waterproof, even after reproofing. Shower proof yes, but not something I'd be happy to keep me dry in prolonged rain.
I went shooting in the rain with 8 people, 2 of which had 'modern' coats , the rest had wax proofs of various makes.
The only 2 who were still dry at lunchtime - that's only 3 hours into the day - where those wearing the 'modern' coats - I was one of them :D (smug smile).
The water gets through first on the shoulders and creases and spreads all over the inside of the coat making it stiff and very heavy.
IMO there are much better options, both from traditional materials and modern ones.

That's my take on it.

Mark

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, my Drizabone is, in fact, dry as a bone... Except for the condesation. It has a shoulder cape, which I guess really makes the difference.

leon-1

BlueTrain said:
In spite of raving about combat smocks, the one jacket I actually use most often, if necessary, for outings when camping or doing a long walk, is a simple, unlined cotton jacket that I've had for twenty years or so. It is Swedish, I think. I don't have it with me but the label has one of those curled up foxes. The pockets are nice and it fits over everything I need to wear when it is cold (barely, now). I tend to save it for outings now.

It is merely "windproof." I have tried coating it with spray-on silicone or something like that from a can but the results have not been particularly noteworthy. But I usually wear a plain old (everything I have is old) poncho if it is that wet.

Have you noticed how there is a lot of Swedish stuff mentioned on this forum?

Your jacket sounds like it is made by Fjallraven, they are excellent jackets, if the material is G1000 then it can be coated with a wax that will keep you nice and dry even in really nasty weather. This type of wax is normally ironed onto the jacket and is not sprayed though.

Barbour Jackets used to be a firm favourite with the british forces because they were very robust, yes they are prone to condensation, but they are a lot better than the old issue crisp packets (NickName for the old waterproofs that rustled) and they could hold thier own against blackthorn bushes in Northern Ireland and not much can do that including gore-tex.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
It is in fact a Fjallraven. I can't pronounce it and therefore can't remember it. It is perfect for its intended use. The combat smock and similar garments are a little too heavy for a recreational hiker with a pack, except I suppose in very cold weather. The so-called SAS windproof, which I believe is actually an arctic windproof smock, is another matter and is much better suited for a heat producing activity like hiking with a pack and, almost alone among such garments, the hood is actually big enough. I still don't like the velcro fastening on the front.

Your comments about being drier wearing "modern" jackets than those wearing waxed jackets are interesting, especially since some producers of waxed garments make the opposite claim. Writers writing about long distance hiking, particularly on the Applachian Trail, generally report disappointment with things made of Gore-Tex, though some writers apparently are more than satisified. It might be that thru-hikers, at least, on the Applachian Trail put their gear to a much harder test than other people, since the trip takes most people at least three months or more. It does rain a lot sometimes along the A-Trail.

I agree that a waxed jacket is not necessarily the best choice in most places for outdoor activity like hiking, even though it might be fine for less active pursuits like dog walking, range riding and estate viewing. I remain with my poncho.

It occurs to me that Nessnuk made no mention that I can recall of rain garments, though it might be in there somewhere. He did cram an awful lot into a small book, at least in the one I'm referring to (Woodcraft). He wrote others.

Now, what traditional material is better than waxed cotton? Coated nylon? That's been around for 60 years. How about a gum blanket or gutta percha poncho?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wear my wax jackets until they're dead. Warm, waterproof, windproof, thornproof.....okay, it's heavy, but it's a good, solid heavy, it's an outer jacket/coat and I wouldn't be without it. That said, I make my own and I line them with fine weight wool, not cotton so I never have a problem with condensation.....it also helps that these days my ploutering about is at a kind of sedate pace :rolleyes: I wouldn't wear one while trying to climb a Munro for instance, but for moorland or forest walks it's ideal, and it's comfortable around a fire too; I don't worry about going up in flames
I agree that many are made without proper thought to the positioning of seams and closures for cuffs, hoods and collars, but get one that has been well designed and it's an excellent piece of kit. They also come in really good natural colours :) so they don't *scream* in the hills or woods.

Cheers,
Toddy

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
My advice-DO NOT BUY from British Waxed Jackets. I placed an order with them via their website and it never showed. many emails and unanswered phonecalls it went into the hands of the Crdit card company who were aware of problems and refunded my money in full.

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
BlueTrain said:
Thank you, that was what I first wanted to know.

I bought a jacket from BWJ, big, BIG mistake :rolleyes:

The quality of the goods are no where near as good as claimed. You'll get as good for £15 at a local game fair.

They are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Barbour.

Incidentally, i've been wearing wax for 20 years and owned Belstaff (1st and still beating in it), Beaver, BWJ and Barbour.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I bought a full length Drizabone in brown years and years ago when I was going through my Snowy River phase, but stopped wearing it when they became trendy in the mid 90's. It resurfaced 4 years ago and has had much use since, mainly dogwalking in the rain. I wouldn't say it is heavy at all, and it definitely doesn't leak. I haven't even noticed any condensation problems either, and i walk pretty fast, but i gues the full lengthers do flap abut a bit, circulating the air. Well worth the money, and now, 15 odd years on, it has a fine 'lived in' look which is priceless. See here somewhere: http://www.bootsonline.com.au/ (for some reason I can't view it as my IP address is barred from viewing the site!! ***????) they sell Aussie bush wear of all kinds.

Rod

On a new journey
Have had a smelly old Barbour for years - like it a lot. Its one of the longer cut ones with the option to add a hood. I confess to covetting a new one for the winter - probably the "Durham" (has an integral hood and is shorter cut) Barbour don't sell direct online, so I'm off to the shooting shop - pull!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
ilovemybed said:
Old ones begin to smell a bit of dog though - depends if you like that kind of thing!

I read somewhere on BCUK that an Australian firm makes a waterproofing wax which smells pleasant. Can't find the details now. The search did turn up this info though:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=2119&highlight=barbour+smell

I've never tried a Barbour, but I used to have an ancient Belstaff waxed cotton motorbike jacket. It was 100% waterproof and less sweaty than my modern "breathable" :rolleyes: jacket. Far more thornproof than a synthetic waterproof too.

I'm not sure how well waxed cotton would stand up to abrasion caused by a back pack's shoulder straps. Would the wax wear away just at the point where you need it most? :confused: Is this what waxed cotton jerkins are for? Or are they for people who like dry torsos and wet arms? :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I think Barbour accept that the wax wears away more quickly in areas of high abrasion. IIRC, in general you do a full rewax once a year, but the "stress" areas, such as under the arms (where the arms rub against the main body of the jacket) and shoulders (after wear from the strap carrying your gun bag or something) need to be checked more regularly and reproofed if needed.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm another one who wears a long Drizabone for the dog walking

The wife got rid of the first one a few years ago because I'd never reproofed it and it looked a bit worn in

Talked her into letting me buy another in a closing down sale
Got the coat, the hood and the wax for £75 - bargain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE