waterproofing versus water management

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Well, after declaring winter over, I found myself out over the weekend on maybe the wettest day for weeks. I went on an overnighter knowing one day would be fine, sunny and quite warm and the other would be very wet and cold. So, what to wear?

I went for a merino baselayer, swanndri swool shirt and a wool gilet. Swedish army wool trousers, tilley hat and BB summer boots completed the get up. I also took along a piece of wool blanket I had picked up in a charity shop for £1. It was densely woven and there may be a bit of mohair in there judging by the appearance.

On day one I was fine, if a little too warm in my gear, but nothing much to worry about. It was when I woke to the sound of rain on the sunday I thought that maybe I was under-dressed. In all I spent about five hours walking and pottering about the woods in pretty heavy rain made worse by a gusty wind. The temperature began at around 7C but dropped as the day went on so that is was around 3C and sleeting when I left for home.

The blanket tied around my shoulders covered most of my upper body and arms and did a terrific job of keeping me dry. Underneath, the shoulders of the wool gilet remained dry - the blanket just soaked up the rain. It weighs 700g dry and when I got home it weighed 1.6kg. I knew wool absorbed water well but had no idea it could take this much.

The Swedish army trousers also did well. They were wet, but not uncomfortable to wear.

The most important thing for me was that I felt comfortable out in the rain throughout, I never felt the need to seek shelter, the clothing felt completely at home in the conditions.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Interesting read....

I have been wondering after seeing a few articals on here about making my own, Woolen Blanket Hoodie, most of the time I like not to wear an outer waterproof layer unless I have to, so I been wondering about putting wax cotton sholders on my new yet to be made hoodie...or do I water proof the wool but after rading someof this I am now thinking a differnt way......

Think I will make it without the wax sholders and see what happens.. thanks for the benifit of your experiance guys..... I ve aklways been stuck between old ways versis new ways.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The shoulders are the most exposed area so keeping them dry is paramount. Wax cotton shoulder covers would work well, i reckon or even a smallish cape that you could keep in a pocket and use when the rain starts.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Id sooner have wet wool socks than synthetic or cotton. And there is a good reason why old trawler men wore/wear wool under their rubbers. Dang, I miss my old arran

sent using my sausage thumb

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The shoulders are the most exposed area so keeping them dry is paramount. Wax cotton shoulder covers would work well, i reckon or even a smallish cape that you could keep in a pocket and use when the rain starts.

Good point about the shoulders, but wouldn't waxed shoulders cause wet patches where they stop? (like how you get wet knees if you wear a cagoul without overtrousers). Perhaps a seamless raglan type of shoulder with a linen lining might work.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good point about the shoulders, but wouldn't waxed shoulders cause wet patches where they stop? (like how you get wet knees if you wear a cagoul without overtrousers). Perhaps a seamless raglan type of shoulder with a linen lining might work.

Intersting suggestions, I was also thinking that it gives the wool a bit of protection when you carry things on your sholder, as well as smoe sort of proofing, but all advice/comment is welcome.

As some times an idea is not always the best.... :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

Agreed. The run off becomes the problem.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Does that view come across in your reviews of kit John??

I respect your views totally in the ventile / wool v synthetics argument.

I do wonder how given your views which you've extensively given here on BCUK you stay objective and relatively impartial when reviewing say a goretex jacket for Gun Mart??

http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_review/harkilla_pro_hunter_
I review each item on its own merits and for the market it is intended.
I do not do comparisson reviews as I find this contentious as often personal prejudice can play too large a part...
I have reviewed many MVPs and Ventile garments over the years and while synthetics have their place and can work well I will always maintain that well made, well treated, naturals will out last synthetics and have less negative effects on the environment.
These days I try to review more natural fabric items in an effort to promote their performance capabilities.
I do still use and review synthetics when they are apropriate but when I have to shell out my own dosh I always look at the naturals first.... :)

rg598

Native
Thanks for that RG, very interesting. I have no quarrel with the argument that wet wool does not insulate as well as dry. But if you layer up the outer layers of wool get wet and keep the inner ones dry so insulation is preserved. If you get wet through then you get cold whatever you wear.

That's true with respect to the clothing that remains dry. It will retain its insulation. However the outer clothing that got wet will lose the insulation that it was providing (to the degree wet wool loses insulation). Assuming you were wearing sufficient clothing to be warm, but not overheating, if one or two of your three layers gets wet, that's significant loss of insulation, and may bring you to the point where you can not thermally regulate.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That's true with respect to the clothing that remains dry. It will retain its insulation. However the outer clothing that got wet will lose the insulation that it was providing (to the degree wet wool loses insulation). Assuming you were wearing sufficient clothing to be warm, but not overheating, if one or two of your three layers gets wet, that's significant loss of insulation, and may bring you to the point where you can not thermally regulate.

I agree that is possible but I suspect you would need to be out in very heavy rain and for the wool to become saturated. I spent several hours out in moderate rain in cold, windy conditions and the blanket outer layer more than doubled in weight but no water got through to the second layer and I did not get cold.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I swear by ventile shell and wool undergarments.

I have read somewhere of people sailing the northern atlantic (wet polar maritime weather) in an open longship, they took some authentic norse unwashed woolen sailing suits with (smelly) but started off wearing modern sailing suits, couldn't get warm so resorted to the smelly unwashed woolens. Apparently once on to a person the crew didn't take them off for the remainder of the trip, these wool clothes kept them warm despite being wet almost the whole time.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I swear by ventile shell and wool undergarments.

I have read somewhere of people sailing the northern atlantic (wet polar maritime weather) in an open longship, they took some authentic norse unwashed woolen sailing suits with (smelly) but started off wearing modern sailing suits, couldn't get warm so resorted to the smelly unwashed woolens. Apparently once on to a person the crew didn't take them off for the remainder of the trip, these wool clothes kept them warm despite being wet almost the whole time.

When I was a nipper, the only protection against rain I remember was a faithfull duffel coat. It saw me through the winter of 1963 too, short trousers notwithstanding. Some years back I had an old naval pea coat that was pretty effective in the wet. Harris Tweed is not bad either.

The downside is that it gets heavy and takes an age to dry out, which is why I don't go down that route anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE