waterproofing rucksacks 4 the jungles

forestgump

Nov 24, 2008
Hi there...Im a newbie here. Can anyone suggest me a good waterproofing repellent spray for my British DPM Rucksacks given by a kind Brit participant in my jungle survival course please?
Cheers!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Never been to the jungle, but have been to Wales & Scotland which can get pretty wet...I always use dry bags for my kit that must stay dry and to hell with the rest of it.

I always assumed that the same principle was applied to the jungle. Dry kit stays dry, wet kit gets wetter (& wetter & wetter...)

Simon

E

ESLRaven

Got to agree with Simon - never been on a jungle survival course either but even in this country I've yet to find a water repellant good enough to totally trust.

Dry bags are great - Exped make good ones but there are others which look equally up to the task. If you get several different sizes you could even have one for each rucksack pocket!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the dpm fabric is a backed cordura type so pretty water resistant except for the seams. silicone spray may work or even wax dressing. as mentioned though dry bags are best for the insides.

Id have thought you would have been more concerned with getting the water out - I know we had to tip out bags up after river crossings as they would fill up in the spaces and get very heavy.

O

oilyrag

Wouldn't bother proofing the outside, it's the stuff inside you want to keep dry. I use the thick green plastic bags they sell at garden nurseries, think they pot trees in them. Twist the top of the bag to remove majority of excess air, double it over and tie off with a decent elastic band. Your bergen will now double as a flotation device and keep your kit dry.

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
The only advantage to waterproofing the pack is to attempt to limit the amount of water the material absorbs - and therefore keep it lighter. If you want the things inside to stay dry then plastic bags are your friend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE