Waterproofing Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I bought a pair of Berghaus Explorer 3 GTX boots yesterday. They are Gortex lined suede and fabric. What's the best product to use to keep them waterproof?
Oh and what does everybody use on their boots to keep water out?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I've never used GTX boots before but they usually keep themselves waterproof, from what i've heard. If they get muddy then don't use soap to clean them. Only water.

You can buy a pair of GTX socks if that's any help. I will buy these soon, cause I only got a pair of leather boots. :wink:

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Use nikwax cleaning products. They do a suede/nubuck cleaner which should be suitable. Theres a fair few "reproofers" you can use, I usually use an aerosol of specific "Goretex" stuff (made by grangers). Do 2 light coats instead of one thick 'un.

Go in to your local "outdoor shop" they should b able tell ya! if not they need a slap!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Nikwax liquids are excellent, not least because you can apply them to wet boots which makes them very handy in the field. Until recently I stuck doggedly with all leather boots, and will probably go back to them when my current Brashers wear out, and used mink oil. Chris Brasher, back in the days before the Brasher company started selling their own waxes and creams, always recommended any good wax polish and I'd suggest the same for leather. Mink oil does tend to soften and stretch the boot. Fabric/leather certainly benefits from the Nikwax treatment.

Nikwax supposedly doesn't affect the Gore-Tex either, but after long experience with different boots I remain entirely unconvinced by Gore-Tex linings. The material simply breaks down too quickly, even in quality boots like Brashers where the membrane is protected by leather inside. Having said that, my current boots have just such a Gore-Tex lining, but very often I wear non-waterproof shoes anyway. Good wool socks provide adequate comfort even when soaking wet.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have several pairs of Gore-Tex lined boots one pair I have had for over ten years (Good old Danner) and no leak's, all I do when they get muddy and sodden is to scrub then with warm water and a scrubbing brush and leave them to dry naturally, and never in front of any type of artificial heat

Brynglas

Martin,

any proprietary guard as made by nikwax or scotchguard will protect the suede/fabric from staining etc. but by the very nature of the boots being goretex lined they'll be waterproof.

A long standing problem with gore tex linings in boots is that there are so many stitching points that there are many weak areas in the boot which may allow water ingress. A more serious problemhowever, and one that I've had personal experience of is that even if the gore tex membrane keeps the water out, in wet conditions the fabric and suede outers of the boot is highly likely to become waterlogged leaving just a thin membrane between your foot and the wet boot outer. Your feet may be dry but they can become very cold as a result of this.

In conditions where the chances of the boots becoming wet and remaining wet for a period of time, good quality leather boots are the best choice, in dryer conditions, possibly where weight may be an issue then suede/fabric boots may be favourable.

I hope that this is of some use to you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE