Waterproofing a parachute

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
My scout troop has an old army paracute, that we use for a shelter over the campfire as well as sleeping in. The only problem is that it isnt waterproof...

I think its made out of silk, so is there anyway that you can suggest to waterproof it??

Here is a picture of it in action on our recent easter camp:
para.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I remember reading a thread on here before about doing this. Have a seach round BCUK & you should be able to find it. I am looking for a chute at the moment, so will want to do this fairly soon myself.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It would be hard to waterproof a chute due to the nature of the chute and the material, if it's tight and it's got a good slope then it can shed quite well, another alternative is to double layer it with a gap in between them but this is hard to set up.

If you cut the chute down it's length you've more chance of getting rid of the baggy belly of the chute that can act like a bowl for rain, it collects and just drips and drips.

you should play with different configurations as some work very well

Good luck with it

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I used a brand new-old parachute last year on the caledonian canal - several days of rain. In heavy rain the parachute let a very fine mist through, but not really noticeable, and with the fire underneath no-one really noticed. Apart from that it seemed pretty waterproof, if pitched steeply and without huge "bags" to catch the rain.

If the chute is too big a diameter and therefore too baggy for your area then you can tie two of the cords together to reduce it.

Alternatively If you go for the half-tipi pitch, doubling the chute over into a giant semi-circle, then you have two layers and it is pretty well waterproof.

NS

Last edited:

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Its hard to water proof a chute. An alternate method is to alter the angle ang taughtness of the chute to suit the weather conditions. This will increase and reduce the amount of room underneath it. I've tried all sorts of stuff to water proof chutes, none really work well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE