Waterproof jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks decent enough. For really bad weather I have a Mountain Equipment Ogre XCR jacket (in bright red, unfortunately, but that's why it was half price :rolleyes: ), and I've just bought a Milletts lightweight packable waterproof that will do me for showers when I want a coat along but won't need to wear it all the time. The latter cost me a whole pound at a car boot sale yesterday.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Have a nosy around for Cothing Garment factories near to you. I picked up a exceptionally good DPM waterproof for a tidy sum. Since the company did all the colours in the rainbow their prices were too tempting.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Not too bothered about the pack size as it will be used as a main coat not just for camping.
Want something that will go over my thermals and will keep everything dry as there's snow expected

Cheers:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The best waterproof coat I ever had was a police surplus gabardine mackintosh. I haven't seen one quite like it for decades. I used to wear it on my motor-bike in all weathers, typically doing hundred-mile trips from home to university in the winter. It only had buttons so I sewed some velcro up the front to stop the draughts. Eventually it wore out and fell to pieces, and now I use purpose-made gear which is a hundred times the price, but if I saw another one today I'd buy it without hesitation.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I'm looking for a waterproof jacket for the coming months!
I want it mainly for day to day use but also something i can wear on a hike

Been looking at this:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/dublin-jacket-p179590

Any good? :)

I'd go in and try it on first if I were you, the fit looks like it has an 'active fit' like most walking coats these days, which means it is often very short at both front and back, which means it is not very good for keeping your backside or your back dry in rain. My personal opinion, if it was me looking for a general purpose all rounder coat I would go for a much longer cut.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
It depends on how waterproof and breathable you want it to be. In my experience, only eVent or Goretex are truly waterproof and (relatively) breathable. The Mountain Equipment Ogre is great as stated above but a lot more money. Some of the Rab eVent jackets are good too. Both are available in subdued colours. I don't have experience of the jacket you mention but I wouldn't expect much breathability for that price. Of course if very high breathability is a priority, then other options come into play like Ventile or Paramo.

Longer cut is better too or it's overtrousers even in light rain.

The Dutch army DPM goretex jackets are superb and only cost about £40-50 for a minter, assuming you are OK with DPM that is. Endicotts usually have them.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looks OK in theory, but like Beardy said too short to be pratical unless you wear waterproof over-trousers up to your nipples....I don't like plastic coats, although they say 'breathable' I find you end up as wet inside through condensation & sweat as you do on the outside when it's raining heavily......they're often uncomfortable too, particually around the neck & cuffs &....... noisy.... OK for showers though.... in town.:)
I use oilskin ( waxed cotton) now, far more effective but very heavy......I prefer the look too,:cool:....anoraks arn't for me.

Haven't been much help have I ? :D

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Rab Latok (not the alpine) M E Kongur Mrt or Marmot Glenmore are all superb and I can vouch for them being as waterproof as any jacket can be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE