water treatment pump..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
does any body use one, if so can they recomend.....?
i know ray (and other bushcraft instructers i have talked with) advise the pre-mac MWP.. but dose anyone have any other suggestions... views?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
MSR miniworks - bulkier but good. Size / weight is far less than that of the water you will produce with them over a day or two, but they are more suited to longer trips / shared use rather than as a lightweight personal purifier. They are a filter, not purifier - so when water conditions require it you have to treat with chlonine, iodine, or whatever as a separate step.

Cheers

leon-1

I have the PUR explorer, but I believe this is now owned by Katadyn, all of the Katadyn systems are very good, they are expensive, but you get the best for your money that you can get.

I have used the Pre-Macs, they are very good, but the MSR and the Katadyns are better, they are slightly heavier and bulkier, but you cannot get better for longevity :-D

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Another user of the MSR miniworks here. It's been good to me so far (3 or 4 years). I usually don't pack a filter unless there's going to be at least a couple people using it with me. When we go out, we use a kind of redundant system, ie. every person carries their own backup means of cleaning water (katadyn MP1, poloar pure, potable aqua) and one water filter per every 2-4 people.

Honestly, any of the modern filters will do you right, MSR, katadyn, etc. It's just what you're going to use it for that matters. Are you wanting to get rid of biologicals, then a carbon element or core is advised. If you want it to be field maintainable then go ceramic. If you want it lifghtweight then go fiberglass matrix.

Three things I'd check into if I was doing it all over again? Flow rate, replacement filter element costs, and weight.

Good luck

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Three things I'd check into if I was doing it all over again? Flow rate, replacement filter element costs, and weight.
Another thing to check is....
Is it a filter AND purifier?..... or just a filter?...

I use a pre-mac.... it does both

:)
Ed

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got the katadyn mini with a carbon after filter. I requires a LOT of pumping ! With a emty carbon filter ( so used as a bottle adapter ) and a coffee filter on the inlet lose you can only produce 1/3 liter a minute pumping at a fairly highy speed. Haven't tryed it with a filled carbon filter.

and ofcorse i got a tiny gatekeeper waterfilter, which is my back-up. Used inconjuction with aqua-clear tabs or betadine drops )

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
I've read very bad reviews about the First Needs Deluxe...people are either super enthousiastic because it works perfectly or really desappointed because it broke down very early. It's a pitty though, because it is a great design and price...:-(

I've only read rave reviews about the Katadyn Pocket though. Plus it's their 75th birthday so you can get it in a neet black case with a swiss cross and "75th anniversary pocket" written on (looks nicer than the blue one). More seriously, it's a bit heavy, and expensive, but it will filter 50'000 liters before having to change the cartridge, it comes with a pre-filter/floater (like most) and you can add a carbon post-filter to eliminate bad tastes, smells and chemicals from muddy or polluted water, it's got good flow rate, it's very resistant (as long as you don't drop the filter part without it's case off a cliff...in a review I read the reviewer accidently did that when cleaning it), it's been around for 50 years (always a good sign) and comes with a lifetime warrenty (but 20 years on the filter I think). You'll just have to treat the water with chemicals like micropur (to stay swiss ;-)) or aqua mira after having pumped if you're in a virus contaminated zone. The ex-PUR (now bought back by Katadyn) line is worth a look as well, they're cheaper and lighter, and also have a good reputation. I think I read problems about clogging and not being able to clean the filter though (but it was maybe for another one). But unlike the Pocket, you might have to change the filter once in your life ^_^

The pre-mac ones are cheap, but can't filter as much water before changing the filter. They've also got a awfully slow flow rate (5 minutes of pumping for 1l of water for the little model...that would be 15 minutes of pumping to fill up my platypus!), so they wouldn't really be suitable for a group. They do purify the water though, that means you don't need to carry extra chemicals or wait for them to have their effect (about 20-30min usually). And they also fit in a pocket, unlike the katadyn pocket! I think I'd get one of those if I needed a filter for just one week in Africa or somewhere like that then not use it anymore.
Do they have any carbon in them or anything that will eliminate bad taste and smell?

So from the information I gathered up:
For a group, where weight and bulk are not so much of a concern, but you need alot of water, and in a non-contaminated zone (virus contamination I mean) : Katadyn Pocket or something similar (MSR miniworks, PUR guide/hiker...)
For personnal use in a very contaminated zone, where weight and bulk are important (ultralight backpacking for instance), but you don't mind pumping a bit longer, one of the Pre-Mac range of filters could be the one for you.

Again, I think the First Needs deluxe would be the perfect filter for anywhere : compact, light, high flow rate, fits on most bottles, purifies, cheap...But then I wouldn't want it to break when I need it most!

[I just want to precise : I've only seen some of these in a shop, never used them. What I wrote here comes from the knowledge I picked up reading around]

leon-1

Katadyn also do a water bottle type active filter that is held in high regard, it only holds 0.6ltr though, but its ease and speed of use is what makes up for it.

If it is for one person just for the trail it is very good, Pre-Mac also do a filter that fits on a issue army water bottle that is quite handy as well.

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Hey Ed, I'm not too familiar witht the PreMac brand, they're not really sold over here. I did find their website though.

Which model are most people referring to when they say they use the Pre Mac?

TIA :wave:

W

Walkabout

Pre-mac is right round the corner from my house
Ill see if they do filters at "warehouse prices" :wink: and get back

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE