Water transportation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Afternoon all,
After last weekend's Peak District jaunt I thought I might ask on here on peeps methods of water transportation; I own a Highlander 55 and after filled to the brim with sleeping/shelter essentials, food/trangia, additional clothing etc I found that I had no room for water - it was only after a last minute offer of a 3litre camelbak type bladder (once filled, fastened underneath the closing top of the Highlander) was I able to go without a shortage of water.

Without guaranteed and safe sources of water (I initially filled with Evian :D and then from a drinking water tap at Ladybower reservoir) or finding and treating locally sourced water from springs, how else can it be done?

Cheers - Colin

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, up here in Scotland, I usually go with locally-sourced water. I have a '58 pattern bottle for water which is potable as-is (either from previous boiling, a known safe source, or chemical treatment) which I use when on the move, and I have a 2.5L platypus bottle which I fill on-site for use in camp - the water in that needs boiling before use.

Trying to pack all your water is futile for more than a day walk, IMHO.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
3 litres is what I would typically use in a day - that's keeping hydrated throughout and for cooking once camp has been struck. I wouldn't want to carry more than 3litres - Jeebus! :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I always make sure there's water available on my route and will only carry a 1L Sigg bottle from the start.
I'll drink from almost any source as long as it's clear and will filter with a Millbank and then boil it.
Water is just to heavy for me to carry as I'm usually walking to a destination rather than just parking up a couple of hundred yards away.

Always have and always will :D

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
Although in theory there are loads of nasties you could get from drinking water straight from the stream/lake how many people do you actually know who have had real problems? Just use a bit of common sense and treat where necessary. Never carry it further than I have to.

Of course this thread will now be filled with horror stories of hair falling out, stomach upsets and nasty rashes.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I usually take a 3L Platypus for overnighters and in extreme cases may even take a couple of 58patt bottles as well.

I take a lot of care over my drinking water - it really isn't worth being laid up with the squirts IMHO! Afterall, this is just a hobby and I have to go back to work each Monday!

Simon

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Unless I knew the area pretty well - I did try to to have a choice of springs on my route, however finding them is another thing - I'd prefer to have a decent reserve on me to last until I could be certain of a fresh supply.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
nasty rashes!! hmmmm could it be the water now theres an excuse!!;) ;) ;)

I carry about 1 ltr if im camoing high I will uses spring water or tarn water well boiled, I also have an msr sweetwater that I bought chep cheap in states if i thinks its really dodgy.

ive had no probels with stomach etc fingers crossed.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Without using local water sources your only option is to carry it.
If you have a 3L camelbak,use that but remember you dont have to fill it.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Usually I carry two 1lt canteens and tend to drink at least 1liter every two hours when hiking. If I don't, headache will hit me after 4 hours. Obviously I can save weight by carrying paracetamol:D but I prefer water. So, four hours of autonomy.

If in area's with a good supply I carry a steripen, IMO this gizmo has the best weight/effectiveness ratio and it always did the trick for me.
For muddy or stained water I use a filter, eg Millbank, and double the amount of time for treatment.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I always carry a bit more water than I need. Lack of water is very unpleasant, I have drank from some very nasty water sources in the past, & been ok so far.
But its better not to have to.

Although in theory there are loads of nasties you could get from drinking water straight from the stream/lake how many people do you actually know who have had real problems? Just use a bit of common sense and treat where necessary. Never carry it further than I have to.

Of course this thread will now be filled with horror stories of hair falling out, stomach upsets and nasty rashes.

Aslan, I nearly died due to salmonella B. Drinking untreated water water regardless of where it is from is dangerous. Sure we can assess those risks for ourselves and it's up to us as individuals to make our own choices but these choices need to be informed. Many many people in this country do get ill from drinking untreated water. I'm not sure how many thousands were affected in the Glasgow area a few years ago when the public water supply was infected with cryptosperidium (because of run off from land grazed by sheep I think), but I do remember it was a grim time for many.

H

He' s left the building

If you're on high ground, you don't need to unduly worry about chemical contaminants (especially as the inflow to a reservoir will be from high ground/rain).

I often just use tablets or boil water from high in the hills, you're only worried about bacteria/viruses from animals. Iodine is safest, boiling is best especially in cold weather as you'd want to drink it hot anyway (with a tea-bag in it!)

Millbank bag or other filtration is advised if it is cloudy (grit, particles), if it is crystal clear from a mountain spring then I'd be happy with a tablet or boiling. Where d'ya think the Evian comes from??!! :)

Be wary of taps in rural areas, they are often untreated water, ie the one near the reservoir may have been directly from the reservoir and would need treatment in your water-bottle.

I usually have at least one water-bottle and a camelbak (2 litre) and another water-bag for overnighters, I get my bag filled with filtered water towards the end of the day and so when I rest up I haven't carried it far but have enough for overnight (plus guests who might drop in!) and setting off the next day without going back in the dark looking for the stream or wasting time in the morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE