New Sawyer MINI Water Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I've just been informed by Sawyer Europe about their new product.

I have several Sawyer products including the Squeeze and I must say they are excellent bits of kit, some of the most advanced filtering/purifying technology. (I have no connection with the company)

You can get an inline kit for the Squeeze and I have found you can connect the output to a standard pop bottle etc by using a trimmed Cyclone adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEN-Cyc...575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7c96d3cf

You could also epoxy two bottle caps together and then drill a hole. I expect the MINI has the same kind of connections.

Introducing the new Sawyer Mini Water Filter. Will ship at the beginning of October!
Pre-Order yours now As This Product will move very quickly.

At just 65grams, and fitting in the palm of your hand, this is simply the best there is for Weight, Size and Performance. Drink directly as a straw, attach to Sawyer Squeeze Pouches, use inline, or attach to standard threaded bottles. The MINI uses the same exclusive 0.1 micron hollow fiber membrane filter used in our other filters. Although not quite as quick as the SP129 version, you will still be bowled over by the flowrate of this amazing little filter. The MINI comes with a 100,000 Litre guarantee which is still the best rating there is ANYWHERE, and will last for anybody's lifetime.
Simply fill up the pouch at a lake, stream or river, screw the filter directly onto the pouch and

1. Squeeze the bag and filter water into your water bottle or container of choice.
  2. Drink directly from the filter which has a built in cap for on/off functions.
  3. Attach the filter onto most threaded water bottles including 2 litre bottles.
Water to difficult to collect? Simply fit the straw and drink straight from the source.
Damaged or lost your pouch? Get hold of a standard threaded plastic bottle locally and use that instead.
Kit includes:

• 1 - 1/2 Litre Lightweight Durable Collapsible Pouch.
  • Sawyer 0.10 Absolute Micron Hollow Fiber Membrane Screw On/Off Water Filter.
  • Cleaning Syringe.
  • Drinking straw.
Price £29.95 (€35.67)

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I got the sawyer sqeuze and to be honest so far I'm not that impressed.

It doesn't filter chemicles and if you try and filter muddy/brown water it still comes through brown which doesn't happen on other filter I've tried.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I got the sawyer sqeuze and to be honest so far I'm not that impressed.

It doesn't filter chemicles and if you try and filter muddy/brown water it still comes through brown which doesn't happen on other filter I've tried.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

It comes through brown?! Perhaps an email to Sawyer would be a good idea. It shouldn't do that unless of course the particles are sub 0.1 micron in size. Turbid water with very small particles will mess up most filters and permanently block them whereas the Sawyer can be back washed to clean.

Sounds like a carbon pre-filter is needed for chemical removal if that is a worry. The Sawyer is designed to remove cysts and bacteria etc. (Viruses on some models), it isn't designed for removing chemicals, even top notch and very expensive Katadyn ceramic filters don't do that. That calls for a different set-up with relatively short life activated carbon.

The Sawyer products are very popular and highly tested. They do the job they are asked to do very well.

Last edited:

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I have been considering getting a squeeze for about a month(when I was introduced to it for the first time).
I like the fact that is has a high flow rate, can screw onto any 1 or 2 liter bottle, very portable, etc.
i'll probably get rid of my MSR pump filter after I buy a squeeze. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although the Sawyer filters are good, I wouldn't ditch your MSR filter. Hang on to it because on longer trips you will find that the MSR is actually a bit easier to use, even if it is heavier and bulkier.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
"2. Drink directly from the filter which has a built in cap for on/off functions."

So in other words if you put the cap on it is 'off' because you can't drink from it.

Worst bit of marketing speak I've seen in a while :11doh:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
"2. Drink directly from the filter which has a built in cap for on/off functions."

So in other words if you put the cap on it is 'off' because you can't drink from it.

Worst bit of marketing speak I've seen in a while :11doh:

'Built in cap for on/off functions' is technically correct when acting in a siphon or gravity feed configuration.

Also: 0.1 microns is pretty standard and removes bacteria, cysts etc. Katadyn and Berkey is 0.1 for example.
Viruses in water are not really a problem in Europe. Sawyer do filters that will take out viruses too (and you pay for it) but it is generally over kill for the UK.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Resurrecting this thread for the thoughts of those that got one? What do you think of it, I've been eyeing up a mini for the wild camping ruck sack, or should I save up for the "sawyer poit zero two"

What do you guys think?

Luke

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
any of the nasa ones, whilst only doing 500 to 1000 litres are still cheaper than micropur tablets and take all the particulates oot, you can back wash them too. Only thing is if any filter fails or U.V. light you could be in for a REALLY nice time, unlike chemicals which don't ever fail. I need some sort of dye to add to make sure the filters working.

The pump ones are now a living joke.

If you take one hydration bag, cut the tube attachment, and make a washer out of it, cut a hole in a bottle top wide as the washer hole, and put the tube attachment, bottle top and home made washer together, you have a feed bottle top that'll fit any standard bottle. And even if the feed bottle has holes in it through folding it it doesn't matter. About the only thing hydration sacks are good for.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So what are folks thoughts on these?

I'm considering getting one to replace my Pre-mac, 20mins of pumping to fill a 2l bottle rapidly gets boring.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
So what are folks thoughts on these?

I'm considering getting one to replace my Pre-mac, 20mins of pumping to fill a 2l bottle rapidly gets boring.

I'm impressed with mine.

With some rigging I've set it up so that I can either use it as normal (attached to the bag or a bottle etc), as well as quickly hook it up to my Camelbak bladder in two ways: Inline to filter dirty water stored in the bladder itself, or to reverse-fill the bladder (so the water going in is being filtered, rather than putting dirty water into the bladder itself).

The stock pipe that came with mine, however, was tainting the taste more than I'd like... so I bought a separate Camelbak pipe and cut it into the necessary sections for my rigging :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They're great: small, light and very easy to use. As Ross says, it's definitely worth pre-filtering (Millbank bag or similar) to keep the gunk out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE