New Sawyer MINI Water Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'm impressed with mine.

With some rigging I've set it up so that I can either use it as normal (attached to the bag or a bottle etc), as well as quickly hook it up to my Camelbak bladder in two ways: Inline to filter dirty water stored in the bladder itself, or to reverse-fill the bladder (so the water going in is being filtered, rather than putting dirty water into the bladder itself).

The stock pipe that came with mine, however, was tainting the taste more than I'd like... so I bought a separate Camelbak pipe and cut it into the necessary sections for my rigging :)

Thanks SJS, I saw your thread on fitting them in-line on a camelbak. Decided to look into them a little more after reading it. My planned usage is to fit it onto a 2l Platypus waterbag that I generally use for dirty water already. Should give me plenty of options coupled with 2 Nalgene bottles.

I love mine. It is small and easy to use. I use a pre filter with it though to prevent clogging from sediment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They're great: small, light and very easy to use. As Ross says, it's definitely worth pre-filtering (Millbank bag or similar) to keep the gunk out of it.

Thanks guys, the weight and easy operation certainly appeal to me. Do you pre-filter as a matter of course or would that be reserved for particularly turbid water? How quickly do these clog up when used without pre-filtering? I'm really looking for something quicker than my Pre-mac so waiting for a Millbank to do its thing is putting me off slightly.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
They're great: small, light and very easy to use. As Ross says, it's definitely worth pre-filtering (Millbank bag or similar) to keep the gunk out of it.

You can back-flush the thing, which kicks any gunk out and effectively restores the filter to its original condition.

To be honest, if you maintain it well, there's no reason why it should ever reach the end of its useful life.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You can back-flush the thing, which kicks any gunk out and effectively restores the filter to its original condition.

To be honest, if you maintain it well, there's no reason why it should ever reach the end of its useful life.

To clarify my earlier question about pre-filtering.

If I don't pre-filter how long before I need to back flush it? Are we talking every couple of litres? For the sake of argument let's say I'm filtering turbid pond water here.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well... that's a good question. I always pick water sources that are - by appearance anyway - the "cleanest" around. That's something I strongly recommend to anyone no matter the filtration/purification method you're using. Why drink stagnant water if there's a cleaner (or even fresher) water source nearby, right?

Prefiltering will certainly help extend the service interval... but I'd imagine you could filter even as much as 100 litres before sediment from - as an example - sandy mud would stop the flow of water.

Backflushing is really easy, though. Basically take some of your filtered water and put it into the provided cleaning syringe (it's only 60ml or something like that needed to flush the filter out), press the end of the syringe into the OUTPUT side of the filter and squeeze the plunger. All the crap in the filter will now be flushed out the INPUT end, and you're good to go again. So quick and simple, just do it every other time you use the thing and it'll last a lifetime :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As has been said, back flushing is really, really easy. I prefer to keep the occasions when I have to do it to a minimum. So, choosing your water source with a degree of care is important and, if it is turbid, pre-filtering it just helps to keep things working well and effectively for that bit longer.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Remember: if you're using this in conjunction with a bladder that has a pipe on it, and you fit the HydroLink adapter to the end of the pipe (and one of the male connectors to your bite valve), then if you are reverse-filling your bladder from the filter... to back flush you need only squeeze on the bladder when you're done filling until any sludge comes out and the expelling water starts to run clear.

I like that setup because it means I don't have to carry the plunger :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Remember: if you're using this in conjunction with a bladder that has a pipe on it, and you fit the HydroLink adapter to the end of the pipe (and one of the male connectors to your bite valve), then if you are reverse-filling your bladder from the filter... to back flush you need only squeeze on the bladder when you're done filling until any sludge comes out and the expelling water starts to run clear.

I like that setup because it means I don't have to carry the plunger :)

Carbon filters don't filter to anywhere near as far as 0.1 microns. They might be fine for a fast-flowing river or stream, but use them on slow or still water and you're playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I don't think the activated carbon is there to filter out bacteria/viruses, but to catch the larger molecules of heavy metals, which is why it is usually used in conjunction with other filters.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't think the activated carbon is there to filter out bacteria/viruses, but to catch the larger molecules of heavy metals, which is why it is usually used in conjunction with other filters.

Precisely... and why many other filters include a carbon filter somewhere in the process (the Sawyer does not, but can very easily be attached to certain off-the-shelf carbon filters if desired).

Prefiltering with carbon will remove larger particles (such as, as you say, heavy metals) and also certain chemicals will bond with the carbon (such as fertilizers and other heavy nitrates)... which in turn extends the lifespan (and service interval) of the main filter.

Now, in the case of the Sawyer, you don't actually need a Carbon filter because the maintenance process is a simple back-flush... so even if the water contains larger particulates and chemical chains (which will clog the filter quicker), a simple back-flush will restore the filter's operation.

Carbon filters are also used to improve the taste of the water... so I'll actually be adding one to my Sawyer Mini setup when the pack of filters (50 activated carbon blocks in a box for £10, each should filter at least 250 litres) arrive. I'll be housing the carbon filter inside a snug piece of pipe, capped on both ends with O-rings with QuickLink connectors attached (allowing me to use it both inline, or to reverse-fill the bladder... as well as on its own).

I'll do a how-to and review once it's all set up (or I might just stop being lazy and do a detailed video on the whole damn thing) :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What about putting a small petrol filter inline with sawyer? I do this with my source bladder. The water goes through the paper element then through my filter to prolong the filter life. The little petrol filters cost around 50p.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
What about putting a small petrol filter inline with sawyer? I do this with my source bladder. The water goes through the paper element then through my filter to prolong the filter life. The little petrol filters cost around 50p.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good plan sir! I can't believe I didn't think this my self! I'm always working on cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Midnitehound said:

So is it correct I need an addon thing to be able to use this as an inline filter? It's not just a matter of cutting the hydration pack tube and connecting the mini filter to the both the tube ends?

It'd be great to get a working solution in the mail from the group buy rather than also ordering that vortex thing from the US and waiting a month for delivery :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE