Water Sources - what would you trust?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Some great info being posted about source selection, filtration and purification - but no one has mentioned the first elements of water treatment - capture and sedimentation!

How you go about 'capturing' - e.g. collecting or drawing raw water off from the source can have an impact on what it contains:

Using a (silicone protected) tarp as a rainwater gatherer - potential chemicals; (yes I know it's tiny, its just an example)

Using a mug in a woodland pool visited by wildlife - potential debris disturbance; Using a Camelback hose less so.

How much contamination/debris you collect in the raw H20 from source will have an impact on filters and later processes.

Sedimentation, if you can allow the time for it to take place, should see the settling down of the heavier (visible) debris and the floating up of the lighter, leaving you the better choice somewhere in between. It is also most likely that the 'heavy metals' will be at their highest concentration in the sediment - another plus to the process. Again - how you gather that 'clearer' settled H20 is relevant - pour scoop or syphon? (We used to use Alum powder to quicken the process!).

I preach carrying a litre of 'potable' H20 to a site and one of the earlier actions after arriving being the collection of H20 from a local source and allowing it to sediment overnight.

I've just prep'd a natural water source for a training demo including -

1. Capture - (as above)
2. Sedimentation - 2 x 1.5 litre soft drinks bottles (x 1 left 24hrs - the other for immediate collection to be checked each hour);
3. Filtration - Millbank bag - timed - first 500ml = 15mins, 1 litre at just short of 60mins.
4. Purification - Boiling and tablets.

And remembering to keep your raw water items separate from treated ones or processing them too after use.

Central Birmingham eh Petro? - Bartley reservoir (Severn Trent) supply then - until they need a boost from South Staffs water - (which could include River Severn water!). :lmao:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I was a bit disapointed after all the hype I have read about the Sawyer in the past to discover on purchasing one, that they do nothing to eliminate chemicals, so it is all a bit of a risk still. I have been thinking that maybe the way to go, albeit more complicated and expensive is to use two filters, one for the biological nasties, which the Sawyer seems for the most part capable of, and another for the chemical impurities. The question would be if you had two of them in line, which would you put first, the chemical filter or the biological one? I am thinking if you use the biological filter first you are getting out most of the particles that might make a chemical filter less efficient over time.
Same as that ...that's why I went on a mission to find one system that did it all . And I found a (British)company that do exactly that !!

Here their specs:

http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/worldwide-testing.php

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/technology.php#Technology

http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

The systems work!
I use it all the time , I have the travel tap and the Aquaguard 3in1 system to use with my camelbak .

If you read closely on the link it states the chemicals and metals removed .

Best thing is , replacement cartridges cost £18.30 and it will provide you with 1600 Ltrs of purified water on the go.
That's just over a pence a litre I think .

Tested by the UK government agency , National Laboratory and supplied to aid agencies and U.S. department of homeland security.

Good enough for my kids . no affiliation just a happy customer.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
One thing to think of carrying a filter but no water

i remember many years ago in the Lake District on a hillwalk running out of water and unable to find a stream. My skin was patchy white with dried sweat due to the heat. Always need to put up with the weight and carry more water than needed

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Hey Petro , im sorry . I don't mean to pee on your fire but

£35 for a replacement filter is quite a hefty price tag IMHO.
Especially with a meagre 350 Ltrs of life expectancy.

Don't worry the rain got tothe fire first, summer indeed.

Yep it's not great(and that's the average I believe from reasonably clear water! ) but like they say it's 10p alitre which is ok for that level of protection, if your getting it from somewhere like the Thames or Selafield! . But the problem with these types is they shut off when full and it's not the sort of thing Coop local or the spa carry! So you throw it away after filtering 175 litres and buy a new one. And these sort of things are slooow! Much prefer a clean source and a britta filter I think!

I believe it's the same as theaquamira filter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE