Water filtration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Morning all
I'm looking for a filtration system be it a pump preferably a ceramic filter but anything considered.
I do like the gravity bags but I did use the platypus set up in Sweden a couple of years ago with a sawyer filter inline. It wasn't that good.
I have millbank bags and used one it all the easter weekend collecting rainwater off the tarp for boiling.
We're off to Finland in september and would like a reliable filter that gives decent water to drink.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you are in the Fenno Scandinavian wilderness you do not need any fancy filtration. Take water from streams, boil it or use a putification tablet.
Or drink it as it comes. I do.

Natural water is the tastiest and best!

edit: if the area is unknown o you, just check the map you are not downstream from a farm, settlement or town/industry

Last edited:

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Was it a Sawer mini or standard? Some that bought the mini have since then gone over to standard size as they think it performes better.

One should clean all water in Sweden and Finland, I haven´t looked on the recommendations for Norway.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like the MSR Autoflow filter. It's a gravity fed one which is great for when you have established camp. It is big enough to provide you with what you'll need while camping and allows you to top up your water bottles before heading off the next day or whenever. Best of all, it doesn't give a filthy taste to your water - arguably one of the most important elements: if your water tastes odd or foul, you'll be less inclined to drink it, leading to dehydration and so on.

I've no association with MSR - I've just enjoyed using this particular filter.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
When the water 'tastes' I have a Platypus In-line activated charcoal filter that removes the taste.

A short length of pipe connecting the Sawyer Mini to the Platypus, then pipe from the platypus to the collecting bottle.

Simples !!!

b96c71d5-3451-4a5c-ba1c-30a95acc1b73

Here is a You-tube video of a guy with a similar set up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE