water bottles and water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
what type of water bottles do you normally carry and why did you choose that particular type. And how much water do you carry

Reactions: John59

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Bushcraft activites: 2 x NATO 1ltr. With a 3ltr camelbak bladder in reserve for when I'm in camp. I choose this set up because I'm generally static and I'll drink a lot brews throughout the day. I'm relaxing.

Hill walking/wild camping: 1 x 500ml Smart water bottle filled with Electrolyte drink. Topped up as I move. 2ltr CNOC bladder for when in camp. I choose this set up because I'm going as light as I can. Bottle is refilled via natural water source when opportunity arises. Towards end of the day I'll fill the bladder ready for the evening where I'll use it to cook, make a brew and prep for the next day.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Usually 3L for a day. 4L if I am with my dog.

3-3.5 litres in a water bladder in my daysack, 1L in a Nalgene which sits inside my cup.

If overnighting, a wide necked Nalgene bottle also has other useful benefits.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I carry two 1 litre Finnish army bottles. If out overnight or on a multi-day venture, I also carry a Nalgene Kantene along with the usual water filtration/purification set-up.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I tend to be static these days so:

12 litre Highgear (Go Outdoors ) collapsible tank in camp and a pound shop 1 litre plastic bottle in a pocket when I’m wandering about.

I think it’s a generational thing but I don’t drink the copious amounts of fluids that people take these days - never have.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
ive seen a few things warning of leching of chemicals in water from the water bottles. BPA beig the most
prevalent one mentioned. it is really an issue if the water is only in the bottle for short periods (ie 48 hours)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
2 litres is normally sufficient for a day out or overnight camp (plus a beer or two!). I usually use Nalgene's, the 32oz wide mouth, Nalgene Oasis (USGI style) or BCB Osprey bottle's. It all depends on what nesting cook pot I plan to use.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
2 litres is normally sufficient for a day out or overnight camp
That’s why I use the Highgear 12 litre water carrier. It is more durable than the folding and thin concertina water carriers. It holds three litres without any expansion up to 12 litres for a longer camp that might involve a shower.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
2.5 litres. 2 litre bottles, one stainless, other nalgene and a 0.5L nalgene for flavoured water, either with electrolyte or just squash.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
2x ‘58 pattern bottles or 2x US 1 quart bottles.
Or/and a 3ltr camelback.
I have also just picked up a stainless Nalgene which I am liking as well.

Louis

bearbait

For hiking...
2 x 1L Nalgene bottles.

All year round I charge up by drinking 0.5L before I set off on a hike. (Saves "carrying" it.)

In the darker half of the year I take 1L with me along with a Sawyer Water Filter and Squeeze Pouch. The rest of the year I take the aforementioned water filter and either 1L or 2L with me according to temperature and length of hike. The Squeeze Pouch can, of course, be used to carry additional water along with the Nalgene bottle(s).

I also carry a packet or 2 of Dioralyte (Blackcurrant flavour!) with me year-round to help with rehydration / electrolytes and use where I feel appropriate.

For camping...
As above, along with assorted Ortlieb Water Bladders and one of their ceramic gravity filters. I also have a Katadyn ceramic filter.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Pilot flask or Nalgene Oasis for the day. I carry a second 1L bottle if I am doing some work or it’s warm.
In the hills I do drink from streams, had one bad “incident”decades.
I haven’t done any long distance trips for a while but used to add a 2 quart is army canteen or a 3L source bladder.
Of course the water is just to supplement the beer….;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE