Watch those cuts and scratches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
A news item on the BBC website today makes worthwhile reading.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7115018.stm

To quote a couple of key lines;

"Virulent bugs are spreading outside hospitals and inside the community and may put lives at risk, experts say."

The condition is spread outside of hospitals via skin-to-skin contact and appears as sores which look like insect bites. In the very worst cases, it can kill in a day."

"These new strains of bacteria appear to be able to stick to damaged skin and airways better than the hospital MRSA strains, and they can also multiply at a faster rate,"

Moduser

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I seem to recall somebody either here or on BB saying that a friend had slid down a muddy bank and grazed his hand. Can't remember how long later he went to the hospital, but it wasn't long. The infection was that bad that amputation was the only way. Be careful out there.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
And on that note - make sure you have an up-to-date tetanus vaccination. You need boosters every ten years. And if they tell you that they don't offer routine boosters any more, explain that your hobby involves using sharp tools outdoors in remote locations.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
And on that note - make sure you have an up-to-date tetanus vaccination. You need boosters every ten years. And if they tell you that they don't offer routine boosters any more, explain that your hobby involves using sharp tools outdoors in remote locations.

I've had so many the Dr says i'm covered for life.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My doctor knows I do things with dirty metal and insists I have my tetanus updated whether I want it or not

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
According to my Doc it takes 3 boosters to be covered for life - Thats me safe then!

Simon

Thats what i was told! but as soon as i told them i was going to be in the african bush for a month that was the first one they stuck in me!

louis

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
According to my Doc it takes 3 boosters to be covered for life - Thats me safe then!

That's what I was told as well.
Asked for a booster while I was in a few years ago. Got it after saying I was flintknapping(apparently you can get lockjaw) but that's my last it seems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE