Watch The Birdie

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Following my recent exploits into wooden fan carving, this afternoon, i figured it was time to bite the bullet and carve a fan bird, so having selected a nice bit Ash with a good grain in it, i carved out the basics and then following some superb advice Ive been given, i split the feathers out as thinly as i could, still a lot of room for improvement on this, but I'm getting there, the result of my effort is the bird pictured.

DSCF0406.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

The "crest" on it's head is the remains of s feather that bit he dust, but it left this very thin whisker of wood than i have since curled up into a curl on the birds head

I really enjoy making the fans and the birds, it's very therapeutic, I'm off up the woods tomorrow to collect some more raw materials, so all being well i can practice some more over the weekend, i think I'm going to have to make myself a better riving knife for this though, as the blade I'm using at the moment, i don't think is best suited to the task.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
That's a fine looking bird you made!
I wonder what will happen when you got a real good knife.
Keep us posted!

Theo

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
That looks brilliant Kepis, lovely work and I could see these selling at a market somewhere.

i was thinking the same.. i bet you could get alot for one bird. maybe even enough to feed the rest ;)

excellent skills there mate. i want to get into carving can any 1 point in a basic cheap starter direction.. give it a few decades and i may have something close(ish)lol

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, hopefully if i can flog a few they will help to pay for a sack of Cockateil food for the proper living ones in the aviary

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I thought that fan you made was impressive but this, this is just beautiful! I think you've invented a new handicraft for round the campfire - a Kepisbird!

Going to call Alison my partner in and show her ... what's the betting she'll want me to make her one. First aid kit on stand by methinks.

Well done!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys and gals, great fun to make, ive just got back in from a day up the woods collecting raw materials for more, felled a nice Ash tree (with permission) and then transported it out in sections in my rucksack.

Really have to say thanks to Sean Hellman for the inspiration to make these fans and bird, he is the master of these and im deeply gratefull to him for the inspiration and advice he has given me to help me along the road.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE