watch strap compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
While we are on the subject of compasses, I recently bought (from the internet) a Silva match holder. I am of somewhat mixed emotions about it. It is designed very nicely, and has a good quality compass built into the screw-off lid. The compass has a rubber cover that covers the lens of the compass when it is not in use, to keep it from getting scratched.

It appears to be brass but might possibly be an anodized metal. I have never, ever complained about quality construction, but the walls are very thick and the whole thing is quite heavy. It seems to me to be over-engineered.

I would like to hear from anyone who has one, and what do you think of it?

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I have a Brunton Survival Compass that threads onto my watch band. I tested it against other compasses both on and off the watch band and it's good enough for government work, which is why I bought it in the first place.

I do alot of travelling with the Air National Guard. I was recently in Kandahar, Afganistan at night on an unfamiliar flight line and kept checking my compass. The other crew chief who was flying with me finally asked me in a mocking tone, "Why are you so concerned about what time it is? Do you have somewhere esle to be?" I told him I was checking my compass not my watch. He made a comment along the lines of what kind of geek has a compass on his watch band, so I asked him, "Do you remember when we were told which direction all the missle attacks came from?" He said yes. I then asked him, "Do YOU know which direction NE is? Because I do."

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Swampy, you're going to LOVE that brass Marbles. They make really quality items, and have for a long time. Did you get the pocket or the pin on?

Dec 16, 2007
Got the pocket and have threaded it onto some 550 paracard (had to take the inner out for it to go through hole) with my whistle and my peanut lighter when that arrives. Someone said they do a watch strap one or did I read that wrong?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Swampy, don't know about that watch strap one, never seen one. But that doesn't mean they are not out there.

When I was a lad in Michigan, some men I knew kept them pinned on the breast pocket of their hunting coats. I always wanted one.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
A few years ago Suunto used to make one for diving that you could clip onto the strap of a diving watch. I had one on the strap of my dive computer, I never really used it properly in anger, just so I had a rough idea of where I was going in crappy visibility.

It was pretty durable as I remember, it certainly took a beating and was still going strong when I lent the dive computer to a friend a couple of years ago...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE