Wasps!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Just got home from work to see my neighbour trying to mow his front lawn being attacked by wasps which are streaming out of the air brick of my house!

So the question, wasps how do I get shot! A can of Raid and a couple of bottle beers later I'm loosing the war!

I'm planning a trip to home base first thing, but suggestions welcome!!!

Pib

P.s. just thought had one of the buggers climbing up my leg and smashed my toes during involuntary kick spasm!

Cheers

Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given they are coming out of an air brick, they are probably nesting in the cavity Paul. Raid is effective only when used on the offending critter. Use a powder based preparation and squirt it over the air bricks so they have to move over the powder as they come through the bricks. Also effective are the foam treatments like these

http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/wasp_nest_hornets_nest_destroyer_kit.htm

I hope that helps a litle. Do be careful to glove up and put a beekepers veil on if you have access or protect your face somehow

Red

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
If these wasps are not interfering with you then leave them. When it starts to get cooler they will die. Then the Queen will move on and they will not return.

If you interfere with them they will interfere with you................

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Cheers Red that's great thanks, unfortunately it was all that Mr Sainsburys had and thought I'd give it a go for to night.

I'm all for live and let live, but sadly my neighbour was reenacting one of the scenes from that Michael Caine killer bee movie and did get stung a few times, so they've got to go I'm afraid.:AR15firin

Pib

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would call come one in mate to be honest, pretty sure the local council do it for a charge...

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello Paul,

I'd be really careful, trying to kill off a wasps nest, I tried to sort one out for my dad a few years back, in his roof space, sprayed the nest okay, then got stung by 6 wasps, ended up in casualty with anaphylactic shock! Not nice at all! so be very wary.

It may be worth calling your local pest control, sometimes it's free from the council, sometimes a small charge, if you're alergic to stuff like me, it's worth the cost!

good luck

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
But why were they attacking the neighbour in the first place? Wasps I have come across so far only seem to attack when their nest is under attack. Otherwise there is the sting you get only when one is trapped and suspects death imminently, or sleepy in the autumn. So, did he see some wasps and track them to their nest and start attacking them?

There are some pretty useful powders you can spray at the entrance and then they carry it in and it kills the whole nest.

I have dealt with quite a number of wasp nests over the years. Gown up, spray or puff and retreat before they realise anything is happening.

We have paper wasps here which build nest under eaves. Nothing huge. We also have bald faced wasps which build megaliths in the trees. Both are pollinators and kill off bad garden bugs, so we let them be, but occasionally, they like to set up in stupid places, like the generator shed door track or under the bucket we use to protect the diesel tank nozzle. When this happens they've got to go... And I don;t bother with sprays.

I put on a coat, a second pair of pants; tucked into my socks and a mosquito net head cover over my hat. Now, this won't work for you since the wasps are in your wall, but I knock down the nest and let the lizzards do the rest. I then of course run like hell as there will always be a big cloud of them.

Some hints for whatever you choose to do:

wear protection
do it at the coolest part of the night
Have somebody (also in protection) holding your light, wasps will make a b-line for it, so using a headlamp is a bad idea. Make sure your friend knows what will happen and to TURN off the light when you get to running...
Decide before hand where you are running. Pissy wasps can chase you for quite a while.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Any of the dedicated wasp nest destoyer powders or foams should do the trick, but don't be tempted to use the stuff during daylight. The wasps are active during the day and an approach to the nest then is likely to result in annoyance on their part, and pain on your part(s).
Treat the job more like an SAS raid and hit them during the night when they can't see you coming ! ;) Hit the nest site HARD with whatever product you have bought and make a hasty retreat. They are almost dormant at night..... note the "almost" ;)
I've dealt with dozens of nests over the years and have never managed to get stung whilst poisoning them during darkness (the chillier the night the better) but have been hammered just for getting close to a nest during the day.

The reason the wasps were attacking your neighbour is most likely because of what he was doing. As he was mowing the lawn, my guess is he was using a lawnmower (not too many folks still use a scythe do they ?) The vibrations from the mower are almost a guaranteed way to annoy wasps as they are particularly sensitive to this sort of disturbance. All it takes is one pass close enough to the nest for the wasps to feel threatened and they will attack in force to drive the threat away.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rekking in the jungle in Thailand my team got attacked by GIANT wasps - not much fun but running helped. Only one person actually got stung but "Aftersting" (US product?) worked well... not much help for you but I thought I would share!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The local council charge £56.00. I'm going to give the products suggested by Red a try as I'd rather spend a few quid for a can of bug spray and keep the £50.00.

That said I'll pay it if it doesn't work. Although I'm glad I checked in, I was all for the frontal assault at first light but yes logic dictates that night would be far more sensible, dam that logic!

I've never been stung before so with each passing year concern/ fear increases and the local paper with stories of a fella killed by a hornets sting and false black widow spiders biting tidy obsessed housewives don't help that!

Cheers guys!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wouldnt bother with the sprays, but the night attack with powder should sort them out, use plenty of it, it'll kill em off pretty quick ;)
Do it in your pant's though, you'll be able to run quicker :D

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Crikey ,£56 my local council charged me £12!!! It was about 8years ago mind. Deffo try the counter products first!!
Good luck dave

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I was one of those people, and unforunately now their back. I'm going to go the route of bringing the council in to clear them, though they might not do it as it's over an eve in my loft which only has partial flooring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE