Washing up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
One thing I hate when in the field, is washing up. I have been reading some interesting bits about eggs, I generally try to avoid any type of frying, but do love a good breakfast. How do you clean the items you cook with and the items you eat from?
P.S Tony, thanks for such a great site :You_Rock_

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I like to use someone else’s cook ware :) … and i clean my spork on the back of my leg. But the best way I find is to clean as you go so it doesn’t pile up and turn solid n stick, I use some strong tissue / wipes and burn them off in the fire when done.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I know I posted something similar not too long ago.
Theres plenty of stuff around to clean a pan out after cooking. Obviously a non-stick one reduces the amount of oil/fat that you are likely to use in the first place. If you are cooking over an open fire, you can drizzle any remaining oil/fat into the fire to burn off, taking much care about splashing and flare-ups etc. Grass, hay even a handfull of weeds (no poisonous ones) can then mop out the remainder and be burnt off.
When not using an open fire, the fat soaked grass can be burried or carried out. If you use something like lard that will solidify, you can keep your pan in a plastic bag and transport it around for a few days before having to clean it.

ATB

Ogri thet rog

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
If I'm camping with Wing, we use dish soap and brillo (steel wool) pads and rinse with boiling water. If I'm alone I use ash from the fire (lye) and dirt on a rag (abrasive) and rinse with boiling water.

PG

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We used a combination of dish-soap steel/or scotch brite pads and hottest water that I can stand, wash well away from camp sleeping area and waters edge. I try to sleep away from the cook area. Much like PG and Wing, what works, works!!! CG :yo:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.

Ash + water = alkali + gritty silica

alkali + fat = soap

soap + gritty silica + slight scrub = clean pan.

when you have washed the pan pour the water into the fireplace, this area has already been affected by the alkali.

Rinse with water and again pour it into the fireplace.

On the next rinse you can pour the water away elsewhere but not into the water source.

All too often I have seen people washing pans directly in streams or lakes only to pour the dirty water back into the clean source.

Always throw the water well back onto the land, this way the ground can filter out the organic materials, reducing contamination of your source water.

For a final rinse use clean drinking water or boil the water in the pan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wayland said:
If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.
alkali + fat = soap

Just on a note of caution, whilst Wayland is right in what he says, alkali strong enough to make bar soap will take you skin right off :yikes: ! Wood ash in plenty of water is fine though ;)

Red

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Pour boiling water over your pot/pan. That removes most of the fats and grease. If you have a fire, use the ashes and a bit of sand mixed with water. The ashes, when wetted will produce lye (also kills off viruses and bacteria) . The sand is abrasive. Together, they do a good job. To keep the bottom of your pots clean from soot, a thin (very thin) layer of soap on the outside makes cleanup much easier.

Best

Bruce

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have got a stainless steel balti dish that cleans really easily (and packs away easily too) great for fry ups or as a normal pan. I have found some cleaning cloths impregnated with soap that I find really good too, no bottles to spill over your kit, I just leave them in a mesh pocket and they are good for a few days, not a bushcrafti solution but they work.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Not done a lot of wild camping in England ,but where I have in other countries I generally set up next to a river.I usually boil water in the pots first if very stubborn then wash using ash+water,Then I use sand gravel from river bed,come up nice and shiny.
Clayton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE