Washing Maxpedition gear

Warzinak

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Just won a bunch of Maxpedition packs brand new from ebay for a very low buy it now price but they all have a moldy/mildew smell to them. No visable mold of any sort but you can smell it from a meter away. I called the company but they were pretty useless and said they do not recommend I wash them because it will affect the waterproofing of the packs and that they can not advise anything to help me in my situation. I did find out that they treat the bags with Teflon fabric protector. Any tips on washing these bags? I was thinking either soaking it in vinegar/water as i heard its good for killing mold (not sure what ratio) or maybe soaking it in Nikwax Tech wash (have gallons of it).

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not sure on the pouches, but I've cleaned a proofed tent before with vodka and a few drops of lemon juice out of a spray bottle. Is wager it'll work on the pouches too

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've put mine through the washing machine, no harm done, clinked a bit with all the zips and such.

To date I haven't had a problem with water ingress.

:)

Warzinak

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
good to know, thanks.
ill soak it for a bit in vinegar/water then give it a quick go in the washing machine with a bit of tech wash.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Go to an equine shop or chemist and get some Hibiscrub or equivelent Chlorhexadine liquid, mix it with 5 parts warm water to one part Chlorhexadine, then either spray or wipe it on and leave overnight; rinse clean in fresh water and leave to dry in fresh air. Best anti mold and anti fungal you can get and it wont touch the teflon at all. By far the best non-destructive way to get rid of nasties for good and cheap as chips. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE