wash kit

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
following on from the "bushcraft etiquette" post, what wash gear is best to use, I mean for personal use and pots, etx. I was thinking natural products would be best, pine tar soap etc, ash for the pots, but failing that would "fairy liquid" be a real no-no :confused:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I know Wayland offered up some tips about using ash + sand not too long ago. Failing that run a google search for environmentally friendly washing up liquid, there are a few products out there that are much greener than standard stuff.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I use Dr. Bonner's all natural stuff. Biodegradeable, used as pot wash, soap, shampoo, I've even heard of some folks using it as toothpaste. HAs a pleasant minty smell.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thanks for the link Jon, and the info oldsoldier. there's a new Blacks opened in Broughton, that I've been planing to visit, might pop down tomorrow and see if they have something similar.

As someone who nearly died with salmonella poisoning which probably stemmed from inhaling or ingesting cow faecal matter... :eek: I don't take chances with drinking water or hygene.

Asda do small bottles (like the shampoo bottles in a hotel) of anti-bacterial dry handwash for 58p a bottle. I tend to keep one in my day sack. :D Just in case... ;)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
w00dsmoke said:
As someone who nearly died with salmonella poisoning which probably stemmed from inhaling or ingesting cow faecal matter... :eek: I don't take chances with drinking water or hygene.

Asda do small bottles (like the shampoo bottles in a hotel) of anti-bacterial dry handwash for 58p a bottle. I tend to keep one in my day sack. :D Just in case... ;)
You snorted cow cr*p!!! :confused:
Wow I have met some screwed up junkies that would try anything but you must have been a wild one! Hope you have had counselling and are over the pronlem now. :p :lmao:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Where I am currently located, a large percentage of the considerable amount of dust in the air is human faeces. Just about everyone here comes down with a lung infection in their first few weeks.

We also wash our hands religiously (soap and water, and the alcohol-based hand rub) because a gastro-intestinal illness would spread like wildfire.

Like someone mentioned above, I would never skimp on hygiene and so would leave something like "woodash and sand" for the outside of pots or the inside only in an emergency. It's just not worth it.

Goose said:
You snorted cow cr*p!!! :confused:
Wow I have met some screwed up junkies that would try anything but you must have been a wild one! Hope you have had counselling and are over the pronlem now. :p :lmao:

I've met some right nuggets in my time but this takes the biscuit. I'm just glad we havn't met! :p I was using a chainsaw and brushcutter in an area where cows had been and much of the trees had dried cow faecal matter on them... hence the faecal matter being turned into an aerosol doh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE