Wash in waterproofer for cotton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Yep, also used nikon cotton proof. Fairly satisfied with the result, you just have to be aware that you won't get waterproof clothes, but water resistant.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Funny that cos I have just brought the same smock;) and just proofed it with the nikwax cotton so I hope it will help with the whole water resistant thing!:umbrella:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
My uses of Nikwax cotton proof have been fairly well documented on this site. Sufficed to say that i swear by it!

If you want waterproof, go with Ventile or Goretex or whatever, but if you want to showerproof your cotton clothing, i'd recommend Nikwax over Grangers etc.

My technique is this. On the initial treatment wash wash the item(s) in tech wash, then wash through again using nothing (no tech wash, no detergent, nothing.) then, following the dosage instructions on the bottle, wash three times. Thats right, wash once using the intructions on the bottle, then repeat twice more(using the cotton proof every time). Then leave to air dry. Then, evrytime you wash it, use tech wash and every other time you wash it, use cotton proof, but only once, not three times like the initial treatment.

This technique has been used by me and most of my comrades since the early '90's when i was first introduced to Nikwax products and has never failed me. Remember, it will not be 'Waterproof' just showerproof, but when it's showery and you think that wearing waterproofs would be over the top, it's good to know that your cotton garment will withstand showers. It's better than no treatment at all!

Remember, ensure that all you pockets are empty and that the drum of the machine is empty and the detergent drawer is clean. I've heard of one instance on this forum when it went 'Pete Tong' but it was not the Nikwax, it was something else.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Just ordered some Cotton Proof from ebay.

Jedadiah I am glad to hear you swear by Cotton Proof and not at it ;) . I will be following your method to the letter.

Thanks all for the advice :You_Rock_ .

The smock is perfect, I cannot recommend Titan highly enough.

Stewey.:D

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I've heard of one instance on this forum when it went 'Pete Tong' but it was not the Nikwax, it was something else.

That'd be me then.
icon10.gif

Suffice to say it was undoubtably my fault and not the Nikwaxs'.
icon11.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE