"Waterproofing" Cotton/Polycotton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I recently (well, 3 weeks ago...) found some Nikwax 'Cotton Proof' in a box in the back of the cupboard. I think I'd got it as a freebie at some point but it was about to go out of date so I thought I'd better use it.

I have a pair of Fjallraven Greenland trousers and a Fjallraven Montt jacket, both made of their G1000 polycotton mix. Normally, it is recommended (by Fjallraven, oddly enough) that you use their Greenland wax blocks to add water resistance to the products. I wanted to see what difference - if any - it would make using cotton proof.

I used the correct amount of fluid (i.e., all of it!) in one of those squashy plastic tubs you can get for gardening or putting your washing in. I used a couple of buckets of hand hot water and thoroughly wetted the jacket and trousers. After about 10 minutes, I rinsed both items (actually a lot easier than rinsing my OMM Kamleika smock when I reproofed it in April - that took a hosepipe!) and hung them out to dry.

I was doing some tree surgery the next day for a colleague and wore the trousers all day as I was using a handsaw, not a chainsaw. It rained on and off and I wore the jacket packing/unpacking and walking to and from the job site.

The cotton proof does not 'proof' the cotton - what it does seem to do is add a durable water repellent (DWR) coating to the material, as you could see the water beading on the surface, even in a medium shower. However, once the DWR is overwhelmed, the material wets out as usual. G1000 does, however, dry very quickly and the DWR coating does not affect drying time.

It's been OK for 3 weeks now and doesn't seem to have lost the DWR properties on the jacket. The trousers have been more heavily used and so are starting to absorb water again, especially at the knees.

In comparison with the Greenland wax, Nikwax Cotton Proof seems to have a similar effect but, being water-based, is claimed to be more environmentally friendly. I would also argue that it's less of a faff to use than the wax. However, I think the wax has its uses for reinforcing water-resistance on the seat and knees of the trousers, rather than having to re-proof the whole garment every time the DWR starts to fail in specific areas.

I haven't used any Granger's products but I suspect they will have much the same effect as the Nikwax stuff.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with these products, especially with G1000 materials.

By the way, it's worth noting that you should NOT cotton proof Ventile fabrics as they don't need it. The absorption of water into the fibres causes them to swell and close the gaps in the material. A DWR would prevent water absorption and, so, may actually hasten entry of water through the fabric. I think. Where's John Fenna when you need him? (shines knife-shaped silhouette onto clouds from spotlight in Batman-stylee).

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've used the 'granger's for naturals' recommended for ventile on my 'ventile-type' SASS smock, i would say it was utter pap and had no effect whatsoever. i felt it had no revitalising effect on the material, and when wifey put the smock into the wash on a normal wash it seemed to have no ill-effects. not sure if this is their version of cotton proof or not. but was unimpressed.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is my experience that it makes a huge difference to these solutions if you tumble-dry the garment after it has drip-dried.

If you can't tumble-dry it, borrow a hair drier and use that.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It is my experience that it makes a huge difference to these solutions if you tumble-dry the garment after it has drip-dried.

If you can't tumble-dry it, borrow a hair drier and use that.

It depends on the product, but yes, some of them do depend on a bit of heat to somehow 'set' the coating on the fibres and won't work properly if you don't do that.

I've found spray-on water repellent such as silicone quite useful on old Goretex motorcycle gear. Just spray it on and off you go, no washing or tumbling required. It's extended the useful life of the gear by a few years and when you're talking four hundred quid for the gear and a couple of quid for the can of spray that makes a lot of sense. But it won't work miracles, and once the fabric starts to look threadbare I'm afraid that it's either replace it or get an oversuit, poncho, or whatever.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
thanks for the post , It was really interesting I got caught in a storm yesterday, and my Fallraven trousers were totally soak, and was thinking if they could indeed be waterproofed. You've saved me time and money

Cheers goodjob

Remember - not waterproofing! They just increase water resistance.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
While poly cotton gets wet it also dries quick so really the answer is to carry waterproof trousers. Proofing poly cotton won't proof them. In one way its the beauty of lightweight trousers (including army lightweights) that they do dry but they become dangerous in cold weather due to cooling by evaporation on the body so, pack your waterproofs too.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
You can also make your own version of "Greenland Wax" using beeswax and paraffin wax both available very cheaply at your local hobby shop. Very easy, cheap and effective. You can finish the garment off in the tumble dryer and you get that lovely stiff quality in he material when finished. I've been doing this to my Fjallraven Greenland Jacket for years and still have my original wax block.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE